Chapter Eight: Focus

The end of the day came, and the second I got out of orchestra class, I changed into my maroon Karasuno-issued sweat suit and headed to the gym for Volleyball practice. As I came out of the girl's changing rooms, Kageyama was walking down the hallway towards volleyball practice as well, now dressed in his matching sweatsuit. I fell into step beside him.

"Is it just me, or do you look like you actually don't mind being around me?" He asked, watching me out of the corner of his eye. I shrugged.

"What can I say? As it turns out, when you try to understand people, you can find yourself tolerating even the most insufferable of people." He glared at me and I smirked, looking down at my feet.

"Are you practicing with me and Hinita?" 

"Is it just me, or do you actually want me at your little practice session?" I questioned, mocking his tone. He rolled his eyes.

"I want to be the setter. You're the one who decided on this whole 'blackmailing me into a backup plan' thing, so I figured you'd want to be there to make sure I'm actually keeping up my end of the deal." He explained.

"Ok, first of all, I'm not blackmailing you. Its not that dramatic," I stated, rolling my eyes, "And second of all, I was just going to trust you to be honest with me," He raised his eyebrows, "Its a funny thing, trusting other people. You should try it sometime." He sighed.

"Its a yes or no question, Sawamura." 

"Ooh, Sawamura. I thought we were friends, Tobio."

"Oh my gosh, you are so annoying." He groaned in frustration. I smiled.

"You say that...but I'm growing on you, I can tell." He shook his head, but didn't say anything else. I chuckled, tucking my hair behind my ear. "Yes, I will be joining you and Hinata for practice today. I'll tell Daichi that I have orchestra practice or something, since you clearly want me there so badly."

"Do you always talk this much?" He asked, glancing at me. 

"Nope, only for you tough guy. You're special." 

By now we had stepped out the door leading to the walkway that would take us to the gym. Kageyama shook his head at me, looking forward and freezing in his tracks. I stopped too, following his gaze to see Hinata standing in front of the slightly open door, following along with team warm ups. 

He bent backwards, stretching out his back, only to see the two of us standing there.

"Let's go." He told him, grabbing my wrist and pulling me behind him.

"What?" Hinata questioned, standing up and turning to face us, "Sorry, where are we going now?"

"Well its not like we can play volleyball here, can we?" He asked. I shot him a pointed look, causing him to sigh. "I found  a practice spot." 

He let go of my arm, walking out of the walkway towards the outdoor fields. I followed him closely as Hinata ran past me.

"Really?! Where is it!? Wow, great job, Kageyama!" 

"I know the team's warm-ups by heart," I said, drawing their gaze to me as I walked behind them, "I can walk you thought it." 

"Thanks, Aina! You're the best!" 

~~~

Kageyama led us to a small grassy area beside the soccer field. I led them through the warm ups and then they were back to practicing receives as the boys soccer team practiced a few feet away. 

"Be aware of your feet and your hands!" Kageyama roared, firing another ball at Hinata. He hit it with his forearms, but it flew sideways towards me. I reached up, snatching it out of the air before it could hit me in the face. "Hey, I need you to focus!"