Chapter Twenty-Seven: Confusion

I settled into the window seat this time, and Kageyama collapsed into the seat next to me, leaning his head back against the back of the seat.

"You ok?" I asked, leaning against mine so that we would be on the same level. He nodded.

"I've been dealing with Oikawa for a long time. After a while you just get used to it." I nodded in agreement. 

"Thank you..." I lightly turned my head, glancing at him, only to have him do the same, "For helping me with him today. Its a lot less stressful to not have to deal with him on my own." 

"Yeah...I know what you mean." He said, looking forward again. A sudden impulse came over me, and before I could talk myself out of it, I leaned over and pressed my lips against his cheek. I pulled away as he looked at me in shock, and I could see the tips of his ears turning red. "W...what was that for?!" I shrugged.

"I was just saying thank you. No need to freak out, Tough Guy." I turned to look out the window, crossing my arms and trying to hide my embarrassment at what I had just done. But if my face wasn't red enough already, my blush only deepened as I felt Kageyama return the favor by pressing his lips softly to the side of my face. I turned to look at him with wide eyes.

"I was just saying you're welcome. No need to freak out." He repeated. I narrowed my eyes at him and he smirked at me, taking one of my earbuds from my hand and placing it in his ear. I smiled doing the same with my own and pressing play before turning to look out the window. 

~~~

Halfway through our journey home, my earbud was pulled from my ear as a weight settled against my shoulder. I turned my head to find that Kageyama had fallen asleep, exhausted from the days events, and had fallen over to rest on my shoulder. I smiled, pulling the earbud from his ear and setting it aside. Just as I turned to look out the window again, his body slumped even more, falling until his head resided in my lap. My eyes widened, and I thought about waking him up, but after the day he's had, I figured he could use it.

I hesitantly reached a hand out, letting it rest on the side of his head. He stirred slightly, and I drew my hand back out of fear that I had woken him up. I waited for a moment, but when he didn't move anymore, I settled my hand back on his head and began lightly combing my fingers through his hair. It was soft, as always, and wasn't exceedingly thick, so it was relatively easy for me to run my fingers through the black strands.

Thoughts began to crowd my head, prompting me to pull my hand away for a multitude of reasons. This is super weird, what if he wakes up to me playing with his hair while he's asleep? That's creepy. But other than that...

I like him. I like him so much; I like him more every day that I'm with him, and the fact that my feelings are progressing mixed with the fact that our relationship isn't is just too overwhelming for me. I don't know what it feels like to be in love with someone, but if I don't slow down I'm going to be completely in love with Tobio Kageyama before he even has an inkling that I want to be more than friends. If I let myself fall in this deep without knowing how he feels about me, its going to crush me if he doesn't feel the same way. 

So, rather than waking him up, I slowly slid out from under him, sliding his head into the seat and sliding down to sit on the floor between our seats and the seats in front of us, my back resting against the wall. It wasn't the most comfortable position in the world, but there were no other empty seats, and I didn't want to wake him after the game he just had, so I could risk a little bit of discomfort. I rested my elbow on the portion of the seat that wasn't occupied by his head, and then rested my head in my hand, feeling myself begin to drift off as well.

~~~Tobio~~~

I was woken up by the sound of rustling as the guys were up and unloading the bus back at the school. I opened my eyes and was confused to find that I was laying sideways across both of the seats and Aina was sitting on the floor, her head mere inches from mine as she slept on top of her arm on the edge of the seat. I sat up, trying to remember what had happened. Had I made her uncomfortable? Is that why she moved?