Chapter Nineteen: Crush

I skipped out on morning Volleyball practice first thing Monday morning so that I could go to the music room and work on my solo. I'd also taken my Mom's advice and had begun composing a song to sum up my feelings about Kageyama, so I was also working on fine tuning that as well, just for fun. The whole process was a nice distraction from two facts that I would have to come to grips with before the day was over:

One: That tomorrow after school, we'd be heading to Aoba Johsai for our practice game, and I would once again have to put up with the confident stupidity that is Toru Oikawa.

And 

Two: I now have to spend the entire day in class with Tobio Kageyama...a boy in which I have feelings for, though I have no clue what they are.

I swear, my heart jumped up into my throat once I realized it was time to head to class, and once I got there, I hurriedly sat down and gazed out the window to avoid looking at him. I didn't even look up when I heard him slide into his desk beside me. 

"Uh...Hey." I cringed slightly, looking over to see the boy in question. He was watching me with his usual quiet intensity that told me he was analyzing me. He had that same expression on Saturday when he was figuring out a game plan, and it made me nervous now that it was focused on me.

"Hey." I answered, looking for my pen so that I could busy myself by chewing on the end of it. I furrowed my eyebbrows when I saw that it wasn't in its usual place on the desk. "Where..."

I felt Kageyama's fingers brush against the side of my neck, and I froze, glancing over as he took my pen from where it was tucked behind my ear, holding it up for me to see. I smiled nervously, taking it from his fingers and averting my eyes to my lap.

"Thanks." 

"Yeah." He continued to glance at me out of the corner of his eye, but didn't say anything else for a while. Eventually, he must've gotten annoyed by the silence, because he asked: "Are you ok?"

"Yeah! Yeah, I'm fine," I answered quickly. He offered me a skeptical look in response and I sighed, hanging my head. "I guess I'm just nervous...about...Tomorrow! Yeah, I'm nervous about tomorrow."

"I thought you said it wasn't that serious." He pointed out, turning to face me fully.

"Its not, honest, I just...I'm not really used to guys paying attention to me directly...usually its just a lot of whispering about me in the hallway and stuff so when a guy, even if he's just trying to mess with me, is outright flirting with me, to my face...I don't really know how to handle that." I explained, somehow explaining both situations that were on my mind without giving away the true reason I was acting like such a spaz.

"Oh. Ok," He answered, "Well if you get to freaked out during the game just...let me or Daichi or somebody know, ok?" I nodded.

"Same goes for you, you know...if you get too stressed out or whatever about the game itself, feel free to...look at me or whatever it is you do." He nodded, glancing down at his notebook and I blew out a nervous breath, shaking my head at my own awkwardness.

~~~

As the school day progressed, things with Kageyama got less awkward but...not much. I knew that he could tell something was up with me, but the more I tried to calm myself down and not read so much into every little thing that he did, the more flustered I seemingly became.

As soon as school ended, I changed into my Volleyball Club sweats and put my headphones on before leaning against the second floor railing in front of our club room. I took a deep breath and began gently bopping my head along to the music and politely waving at the players as they went inside to change. Music always helped to calm me down and process things.