Chapter Thirty-Eight: Incredible

~~~Aina~~~

The morning of Friday, the day of the Showcase came with a lot more nerves than I was expecting. I mean, it was one thing when I was performing one of the most difficult pieces a violinist can play, but now that I'm playing my own piece? Not only will people be judging my performance, but the quality of the song itself. What if they hate it? What if Tobio hates it, and its about him? Actually, I kind of doubt he'll know if its good or not. Classical music isn't really his thing, but still!

I could hardly concentrate in class, I was so scared, and chances are I would've chewed my nails clean off had Tobio not stopped me.

Right as I lifted my hand to begin doing so, he reached across the aisle, pulling it away from my mouth and placing it back on the desk. I turned to look at him.

"I don't know anything about playing the violin," He whispered, glancing at the teacher, who was in the middle of a lecture, "But I think it might be easier for you to play without bloody, chewed on fingers."

I sighed, nodding in agreement and squeezing his hand in response. 

"You're right, I'm just...I'm kind of freaking out a little bit, that's all."

"That's normal, I promise. Do you think I'm not nervous before every game?" He asked. I shook my head.

"Well yeah, but that's different," I said, beginning to twist my hair around my finger. This was another nervous tick that I had, "Your performance in a game isn't just on you. You have a whole team backing you up. If I screw up tonight, that's it. Its all on me.  I mean, what if I'm really not any good? What if I flop under pressure and then I'll never compete at competition, and I'll never play the Violin professionally and-"

"Sawamura!" I jumped as the teacher called my name, giving me a pointed look. "Is there something you'd like to share with the rest of the class?"

I slumped back in my chair.

"No, ma'am." She nodded.

"Then I suggest you leave your conversations until after class." I nodded and she turned back to her lecture. My face went bright red and I laid my had down on my arms to conceal my embarrassment. I felt Tobio's hand on my back, rubbing small circles between my shoulder blades. 

~~~Tobio~~~

As soon as our final class ended, Aina was out the door and booking it to the orchestra room. I didn't really blame her. She had mentioned something about 'interrupting my process' before the Aoba Johsai game, so I'm assuming she's got some pre-performance rituals of her own that she wants to do.

All I really want is for her to relax and be confident about her abilities, but the fact of the matter is, I don't even know what her abilities are. Chances are, I won't be able to tell if she's good at it or not because I know nothing about classical music. But what I do know is that Aina loves it, and has been known to make things happen when she's passionate about it, so I'm sure that she's incredible. 

I wanted to focus on Volleyball practice that afternoon, of course, but I just kept thinking about Aina and the surprise that I had planned. I just really wanted tonight to go well for her, so it was all I could really comprehend right now.

"Dude, what's with you?" Sugawara asked, chucking a ball in my direction. I jumped out of my thoughts, barely able to catch it. "You've been distracted since you got to the club room."

"I'm just...thinking." I said, tossing the ball back to him.

"About Aina?" He asked, throwing it back. I nodded.