Chapter Thirteen: Most Important Skill

The gym was silent as we stared at the two first years, and there were many things going through everyone's minds. Not only did Hinata jump for a ball that wasn't there yet, Kageyama changed his mind in a split second, sending the ball to Hinata without a moment's hesitation.

They trusted each other in that instant...and it was beautiful.

"YOU GUYS CAN DO QUICK ATTACKS AND YOU DIDN'T TELL ME?!" Tanaka shouted.

"What's that?" Hinata inquired.

"That crazy fast attack you just did!"

"Uh-uh. The only sets I've ever hit were way up high in the air."

"You literally just did it! Look, remember in middle school when that rookie setter messed up that set, and you hit it anyway? Like that."

"Huh? But I don't even remember how I did it." Tanaka groaned in frustration. "Whatever! I'll still hit any set that comes at me, you just wait and see!" 

"You've never done combos before, so that's impossible for you." Kageyama stated.

"Don't be ridiculous! You don't get to act like a wimp, just stop it!" He just walked away from Hinata, causing him to cross his arms.

"Not very regal of you, sire!" I didn't hear the rest of their conversation, because Kageyama was walking back to his position, his eyes locked on mine. I smiled at him.

"You see what can happen when you trust your teammates?" I questioned, crossing my arms over my chest. He just stared at me in response, but the glint in his eye told me that if he had the capacity to smile, he would have. 

"Not everyone's a good fit for every job, you know," I heard Tsukishima say, turning my attention back to him, "I mean, you're clearly not cut out to be a Spiker. "

Tanaka started forward, fist poised to sock the kid, but Daichi caught his wrist, holding him in place.

"You're right," Hinata answered, "In middle school, even now, no matter how much I jump I always get blocked. Height is important for volleyball. You can't always just jump real high to make up for being short like me. But still...that never stopped me from wanting to be a Spiker. I don't care whether I'm cut out for it or not. I'll do the best I can with what I've got. And I'll win. I'm on this court, and I'm not going anywhere. "

My eyes travelled from Hinata to Kageyama beside him. He was glancing at him with curious eyes; a calculating expression gracing his stern features. I could see it clearly enough...Kageyama was finally beginning to realize just how similar he and Hinata are. Their passion for the game, their drive to win...their thirst to stay on the court longer than anybody else.

The two were polar opposites but in that regard they were the same, and I didn't have to know Kageyama for long to know that to him, even if they agree on nothing else...that is the only thing that matters. 

"Have you even listened to a word I said?" Tsukishima questioned with a sigh, "It doesn't really work that way, shorty. You can't substitute spirit for height. Unless you want to be a libero that is."

"I open up the wall and block the Spiker." I smiled as Kageyama proved my hypothesis when it came to his thought process. He stepped up beside Hinata. "That's the Setter's job."

Everyone else in the room gasped in surprise, Hinata included, but I remained unphased by this development, earning a questioning look from Sugawara.  The moment was cut short as Kageyama grabbed Hinata's shirt collar, dragging him to the back of the court.

"Hey, what gives, Kageyama?!"

"Hey man, could you chill!' Tanaka shouted, walking over to join them.