Chapter Twenty-Eight: Stupid

~~~Kageyama~~~

Aina has a crush on somebody...I don't know why that idea bothers me so much. Just the thought of it makes me feel sick.

That's why the second she turned around I made a break for it. I had to get out of there, because just looking at her now makes my heart squeeze inside of my chest. Why am I feeling this way?

You're jealous, you moron. 

Ok yeah...I'm jealous. But I don't know how I can be jealous, because I don't even know who the person she likes is. But I'm not just Jealous I'm also...optimistic?

Because there's still a small part of me that wants to believe that the person she was talking about is me. That's why she's avoiding eye contact, and that's why she always calls me tough guy and hugs me and why she kissed me on the cheek earlier. She laid her head on my shoulder, and I'm fairly certain I could feel her slender fingers combing through my hair as I slept. Are those things you do with someone who is only a friend? I don't know...

I may not know for sure how she sees me, but...I know how I see her. She's not 'just a friend' to me. She never has been, not even at the beginning of the year. Even in the midst of all of my jealous and confused thoughts, I just keep seeing images of her in my head. I see her sitting in class with her pen hanging out of her mouth, gazing tiredly at the teacher, and I see her expressions of worry or excitement as the game progresses. She's beautiful, but I know that how I feel about her is about so much more than that. She's incredibly smart and wise. She gives the best advice, and she's so selfless. Other people and their wellbeing is always the most important thing to her. 

She's incredible, and I like her so much that sometimes I forget how to function, but for the most part, when she's around, my thoughts and feelings are clearer than they've ever been. Its almost scary that another person can have such a strong effect on me and yet...I like it? 

Maybe I should just tell her how I feel. If the guy she likes is me, then great, and if its not...

Well I guess I'll deal with that when the time comes. 

~~~Aina~~~

The conversation with Kageyama did nothing to help my confusion, so after a restless night's sleep, I headed into school the next morning with Anxiety coursing through me. I have no idea what I'm going to do about this whole situation.

I walked down the hallway towards my class a bit earlier than normal, and went to walk inside when a hand shot out and grabbed my arm, pulling me around a corner. I opened my mouth to scream in surprise when a hand clasped over it, stopping the sound in my throat before pinning me against the wall around the corner, which was practically invisible to the people in the main hall. My eyes widened in surprise, but my expression switched to one of confusion as I saw that the person in question...was Tsukishima. 

"What the flying flip are you doing?!" I exclaimed, shoving his arm off of me. He furrowed his eyebrows at me.

"What kind of expression is that?" He questioned, his voice dripping with condescension. 

"I see your question, and I raise you another," I shot back, "What kind of person grabs people out of nowhere and pins them against walls against their will?!"

"Stop being so dramatic," He sneered, rolling his eyes, "I needed to talk to you about something, and I didn't want any of the other Neanderthals to see us."

"You need to talk to me?" I asked skeptically. "You don't even like me."

"You're...one of the more tolerable people associated with the team." I smiled, putting a hand over my heart.