Chapter Fifteen: Little Conditions

I had a very...complicated relationship with Aoba Johsai. Well, actually scratch that, my complication wasn't with Aoba Johsai, but rather with their Captain and Setter Toru Oikawa.

It had all started a couple of years back. I was a second year in Middle School and had gone with a group of friends to watch Daichi's volleyball tournament. I was trying to actually watch the game, but the girls I was with...they'd found something else to capture their attention.

"Oh my gosh, did you see that High School guy? The one with the fluffy hair? He's so cute!'

"I looked him up in the program. He's a first year named Oikawa!"

"Even his name sounds cute! Aina, what do you think?"

"I think there's only one high school guy I care about right now," I answered, not taking my eyes off of the court as Karasuno missed yet another receive. I cringed. "Besides, who cares if he's cute? You don't even know him, he might be a total jerk."

"Maybe. What do you think Iwaizumi, am I a jerk?" My eyes widened and I whirled around to see the boy in question: Toru Oikawa, sitting with a guy with spiky black hair. All of my friends' faces instantly lit up red while I just shook my head, facing forward again. It was at that moment that he took the opportunity to step over the seats and slide into the empty one beside me. I leaned away from him. "What's this? A girl isn't noticing this pretty face?" He crossed his legs, resting his chin in his hand. "I find that intriguing."

"Yeah, well sorry to offend, but I'm trying to watch my brother play." HE smiled at this.

"Ah ha, I see. Well which one is he then?" He leaned forward, putting his face right next to mine. "Is he as pretty as you are?"

"Come on, Oikawa. Leave her alone, she clearly doesn't want to talk to you." His friend pointed out. "I know that's practically unheard of for you, but maybe she just sees right off the bat how annoying you are."

"That's just hurtful, Iwaizumi." He answered, glancing back at him before looking at me again. I kept my eyes trained on the game, trying to ignore his eyes on me. "What's your name, gorgeous?"

I didn't answer him, just wanting him to go away. I really wanted to tell him that; I wanted to give this over-confident jerk wad a piece of my mind, and if it were one of my friends he were harassing, I would have no problem doing so...however for some reason, whenever the attacks are turned on me, I just...shut down. I freeze, and suddenly every comeback that comes so naturally to me in the defense of other people is suddenly gone when I need to defend myself.

"Aina Sawamura." One of my friends giggled, clearly not reading the situation. I shot her a look.

"A pretty name, for a pretty girl." He said, standing up. " I hope I'll see you around, Sawamura."

From that point on, every tournament that we ever went to, Oikawa was there. He was constantly flirting with me, but I didn't know if it was because he enjoyed making me uncomfortable or if he was genuinely intrigued by my lack of interest. But whatever the reason was, it didn't make me in the least bit excited that we would be having a practice game against Aoba Johsai. It just meant that I would have to see him one extra time out of the allotted once a year I'd have to put up with him. 

"So what's up?" Daichi questioned.

"Oh yeah, the game," Mr. Takeda continued, "Aoba Johsai, or Saijoh as some people call it was the only school that said yes."

"That's crazy!" Sugawara exclaimed. "So how'd you get us a game with a team like them?"

"Wait, did you beg again?"

"No, not this time," Mr. Takeda answered, "Though I am good at begging. But I didn't have to. Although, there is some little conditions."

"What's that?" They both looked at the paper in his hand.

"Kageyama has to be the setter for the whole game...and Aina must be in attendance." Daichi looked up at me in confusion, and I simply rolled my eyes.

"What the heck is that?!" Tanaka asked. "So they're not interested in playing Karasuno, but they got some kind of special beef with Kageyama, huh? What are we just some kind of joke to them?! What's their deeeaaaal?

"Um...no," Mr. Takeda said uncomfortably as Tanaka leaned closer to him, "I don't think that's the case."

"And what does Aina have to do with anything?" Daichi asked, looking at me, "How do they even know who you are." I shook my head.

"Its a long story. It doesn't really matter," I told him, "We need as much practice as we can get before the tournaments start so if me being there is what it takes to get us a practice game, then I'll do it."

"Let's do it," Sugawara followed, "Its an opportunity."

"You sure about that Suga?" Tanka questioned. "You are the official setter. Doesn't this bug you man?"

"Well...its a chance for us to use Hinata and Kageyama's attack. Now we can see how good it truly measures up against a really good team." Suga nodded at Daichi, silently telling him it was ok.

"Ok, what do the details say?"

"Ok, let's see...the schedule's a little tight. It says next Tuesday. There's only time for one game since its after school."

I nodded along as he listed out the plan for heading to Saijoh, but the more we talked about it the more nervous I got. Obviously, I'm willing to take one for the team, but how messed up is it that Oikawa can make stupid demands like this that have nothing to do with the game? Its like he just wants the opportunity to screw with me; its messed up.

And yet I can't bring myself to say anything about it. Why?! Why can't I just stand up for myself as well as I stand up for my friends?! Why is it so much harder for me to-"

"Right!" I jumped, started from my thoughts as practice adjorned for the day. As soon as it did, Daichi was standing in front of me.

"Are you sure you're ok with this? You look a little nervous," He noted, crossing his arms, "you wanna tell me what this is all about?"

Yes. Yes, I do, I want to tell you so that you can call them and tell them that I won't be going. I don't want to do this, I don't like-

"Seriously Daichi, I'm fine. Its not a big deal, its just...over my time of watching you during tournaments I've developed a kind of love-hate relationship with some of their players. They're probably just messing around." He eyed me skeptically but nodded and I sighed internally.

Why can't I just be honest about how I feel?