Chapter Six: The Student and The Protector

I headed to the orchestra room straight away after leaving the gym. School doesn't start for another hour, and we've only been in school for one day, so I don't have any homework to do. That means Orchestra practice time. 

Typically I'd be at the morning Volleyball practice, but right now, I'm too frustrated with Kageyama to be able to enjoy it. 

Its no mystery why he annoys me so much; aside from the obvious, that he's conceited, rude, and insanely selfish. Its because we have very different views when it comes to the things that we're passionate about. I want to share my passions, as well as the passions of others. I want to understand why people love what they do, and I want others to understand why I love music, so that maybe they can love music too.

People like Kageyama are the opposite. He believes that volleyball is something that he is sworn to protect. He's worried about the purity of the game, and doesn't want to waste time with people who aren't on the same level as him.  He would rather hide away the sanctity and perfection that he perceives as his strengths rather than share them with others so that they can benefit from them too. 

My mind was reeling with this thought as I played in the practice room, and my frustration must've been coming out in my music, because there was a knock at the door fifteen minutes in and the Conductor, Mr. Wantanabe, stuck his head inside. 

"Your violin sounds angry, Ms. Sawamura. Whatever it is that's on your mind, its probably best to not take it out on your instrument." I sighed, lowering my violin.

"Sorry, sir. I'll try to be more gentle." He smiled at this, the action causing a crinkle around his eyes as he pushed the door all the way open, standing in the doorway and crossing his arms.

"What's on your mind?" I raised my eyebrows at this. I had only had this man in rehearsal one day, plus when I met him during the summer auditions, and here he was asking what was on my mind? "Go on, you can tell me. For the sake of your poor violin strings at least." I sighed, shaking my head and putting my violin down in my chair.

"Its nothing, Mr. Wantanabe, honestly, it just..." I bit my lip, pondering a question in my head,  "Sir, how do you handle people who have a different approach to passion than you do?" He furrowed his eyebrows beneath his glasses.

"What exactly do you mean?" He questioned. I tucked my hair behind my ear, trying to put it in simplest terms. 

"This is a terrible analogy, but just bare with me," I said, lightly tugging on my uniform sleeves, "So say...you have a cookie," I cringed, "And its the best cookie you've ever tasted in your life, and your first instinct is to share that cookie with anyone and everyone so that they get to enjoy it too. But then say there's someone else who tastes the cookie and they decide that no one else can have it. That its theirs to protect and-This really isn't making any sense. I'm sorry, I just don't know how to explain it." He laughed.

"No, Ms. Sawamura, I know just what you mean," He said, "We all have gifts. Some people, like you, I'm guessing, want to share your gifts, while others...whoever is irritating you to the point of mutilating your violin, is the type of person who wants to protect their gifts from people that they feel are unworthy to wield them. Am I right?" I nodded.

"Yes, exactly. That's exactly what I'm getting at." He nodded. "So then I guess, my question is, how do you get someone like that-the protective one-to work with someone they deem unworthy?"

"That is a dilemma indeed," He stated, rubbing his chin, "But I'm afraid, when it comes to people like that, the only thing you can do is prove that the student is worthy of learning. So maybe you understand the student better than the protector does...but you also seem to have a pretty firm grasp on the protector. So maybe all you can really do is bridge the gap and show the protector the student's potential, in a way that they can understand." I nodded. "Does that make sense?"

"I think so...so you're saying I have to use my understanding of both of them to...close the divide?" He nodded.

"Precisely. If I've learned anything in my time as a teacher, its that teaching people that think, feel, and act differently than you do is one of the biggest challenges there is. But if you can't make them see it your way-which more often than not, you won't be able to-you're going to have to understand their perspective in order to make it applicable to them." 

"Right...yeah. Thank you, Mr. Watanabe." He nodded.

"Any time. Now, let's give that piece another go, hmm? I'd love to hear the non-violent version." I chuckled, picking up my violin and positioning it on my shoulder again.

~~~

School started, and I walked into my classroom, only to see that sitting in the desk right beside mine was none other than Tobio Kageyama.

I hadn't noticed him yesterday, but I was now very aware of the fact that I would have to deal with him outside of Volleyball. I sighed, making my way over to my desk and sitting down. I draped my bag over my chair and slid my violin case underneath, ignoring the feeling of his eyes on me. 

"Take a picture, tough guy. It'll last longer." I said, pulling out my notebook and glancing up at him. His eyes widened at being caught staring at me. 

"This morning...you looked disappointed in me," He said, explaining his thoughts, "Why?"

"Do you want the list format or the PowerPoint? The list is faster but the PowerPoint comes with pictures!" I said sarcastically, looking down to write down my heading on my notes. 

"I don't mean why," He shot back, "I mean why do you care so much if I'm mean to Hinata?"

"Because, I believe that everyone deserves a chance." I said, preparing to say something sarcastic. I stopped myself though, thinking back to my conversation with Mr. Wantanabe. 

 "...understand their perspective in order to make it applicable to them."

"But," I continued, causing him to raise his eyebrows, "I know that you don't. You're the type of person who needs people to prove that they're worth your time, and Hinata doesn't have the skill level to do that yet."

"Yet?" He asked skeptically. I nodded.

"Yes...yet," I said, "Because even though you might not see it now, that kid loves volleyball just as much as you do, and he's not gonna stop working until he's as good as he can possibly be. And I understand that you're a 'I'll believe that when I see it', type person, but at the very least, you don't have to be such a jerk about it." He cocked an eyebrow at me. 

"You don't like me very much, do you?" 

"I don't know you," I pointed out, "I met you yesterday, so I can't really make a fair decision on that front. 

"You don't seem to like me." I shrugged.

"Well, my first impression hasn't exactly been 'nice', but like I said, I believe everyone deserves a chance. That doesn't just apply to learning a new skill." He narrowed his eyes, seemingly studying me. I furrowed my eyebrows at him. I sighed. "What?!"

"Nobody on the planet is this nice," He said, "I don't trust it."  I shook my head, averting my eyes to my notebook again.

"Well that's a highly negative mindset, and honestly, I feel sorry for you." I answered, "Not to mention the fact that, despite what you might believe, being nice to people does not put me in the minority." He cocked an eyebrow, his dark blue eyes flashing with amusement. 

"For someone who claims not to dislike me, you sure seem to like shooting off sarcasm." I shrugged.

"Nobody's perfect." He continued to watch me with amusement in his eyes, and I found myself smiling, averting my eyes to my notes again as the teacher got up and began the lesson.