Internship

"Sorry about this lesson, but it's good to know how quick you are to save yourself."
<Hawks>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Right before we left for our internships I got scolded by Aizawa-sensei. It was because he knew that I didn't go all out and he demanded to know why. I gave him a look and he nearly gave me detention. Our staring contest went on for what seemed like forever. He then mumbled that next time to go my all.

It was the first day of our internship. I went to Kyushu, which is where the main base of operation was for Hawks. Fuyumi had me pack extra clothes and made sure I packed enough hand warmers because of how quickly I could get cold when using my quirk. I entered the agency and was told where Hawks was located.

I entered the room and there stood a guy with blonde hair and golden eyes, he had lines under his tear ducts that gave him the image of a bird. His facial hair was just below his chin. His wings were a crimson red. His outfit consisted of a large tan jacket with white fur, and his pants matched it. Under his jacket was a black shirt with a golden curve under it.

"Ah, if it isn't FrostBite, also known as Y/N Todoroki. I'm Hawks."

I noticed he didn't introduce his actual name. I didn't question, because it wasn't my place to question it. He had a mischievous demeanor to him as he would talk. My arms were crossed as I begin talking,

"I want to make it clear that I already know why you even chose me. You want to get close to my father, and to build up your reputation. I don't blame you about that, but I'm here to train my speed under you. You are known to be quick and skilled with making your wings a sword like weapon. Not only am I here to train under you, but to also mess up my old man's reputation. Also sorry to break your heart, but I'm not Endeavor's favorite child, you won't be able to get into a close relationship through me."

I saved no energy lying to him. I told him the truth and nothing but the truth. He gives me a sly smirk,

"I figured you knew, you're a very smart girl. I do however want the truth."

I tilt my head curious as to what I needed to tell him,

"Why did you purposefully lose the sports festival? I saw that you purposefully used your quirk to trip yourself. I've seen you use your quirk and how compatible you are with it, you should've easily defeated that Hado girl. Why didn't you?"

I smirk this time. Seems as if Hawks knew of how great my ability was before even coming here. He did his research, as he should. After all he didn't need to train me. Hell he didn't have to take in anyone. He took me in for a reason, I was strong and he knew.

"I have to let Shoto know that even with ice being a powerful quirk, even I can slip up. He relies on his ice side too much. It wouldn't be an issue if he didn't have a fire side. You know how my father is right? Wants what is best, even pushing too far sometimes."

He bought it, luckily. I couldn't let word get out about what really happened. How my father was a controlling asshole. He shrugs his shoulders.

"You want to be fast, huh kid? Well with wings it's a lot easier for me, you're already fast with your ice. Maybe focus on putting it in your hands and using that force rather than just surfing. Utilize both. Let's have a quick tour around the city."

With this Hawks walks out of the room we were in and guided me to the front entrance. His wings fully expand, he glanced back at me and smirked.

"Keep up."

With that he was off, I swore before using my ice to catch up with him, I would make tiny ice blast and also surf above the buildings so I didn't run into them. Hawks was very fast and he soon realized that I was keeping up beyond his expectations. I was able to keep him in a 10 meter distance at all times.

He then turns around and picks me up. I saw him flying towards me and scoop me up. That's why I didn't freeze him and I could tell he was glad that I didn't. He flies us high up in the air and sets us down on the largest building.

"You were able to keep me within 10 meters in front of you, impressive."

I nod my head as I sit on the edge. We take in view of the city. Hawks sits right next to me, his arms crossed a bit. The sound of the wind and the bustling city was keeping our ears company. I was a bit cold from the drawbacks of my quirk, but luckily Hawks didn't take us too far. I didn't have time to put on anything for my hero suit. I knew being a hero I wouldn't always be able to get prepared and I had to fight in what I'm wearing. It wasn't something taught, it was common sense for the most part. He takes in a deep breath before talking,

"No matter how big or how small, it's all about making sure someone is safe. Whether it be from a big event or a small event, they'll always think you're a hero. No matter where you come from kid, someone will always be there to support you and someone will always try their best to bring you down."

I glanced at Hawks. I didn't understand why he was lecturing me about what being a hero is about. Something I said must've struck a cord with him earlier causing him to say this to me. His golden eyes were brighter due to the city lights. I looked out towards the bright lights. He continues on after taking a breath,

"I'm only four years older than you kid, life will come at you fast. Faster than the blink of an eye. Understand what you want as a hero now and why you want to become one and let that be the main reasoning to push you towards becoming one of the best."

He then turns to look at me. He takes in a deep breath and sighs. He stood back up,

"Sorry about this lesson, but it's good to know how quick you are to save yourself. Even a good hero knows when to save themselves from danger."

"Wait wha-"

With that Hawks kicked me off the ledge. He placed his foot on my back and roughly shoved me off of the tower. I curse at Hawks as I see myself falling quickly. The buildings passing by with a blur, I focused my quirk and made a tiny platform for my feet to stand on, I turn my body mid-air using a small ice blast to land on the tiny platform. My feet landed on the platform and I glare. In front of me was a smirking Hawks. I made a little ice senbon and threw it at him. He lets it hit his face as a chuckles a bit. It was tiny enough not to hurt him. It cracks when it lands the hit on him.

"Welcome to the internship. If you can save yourself without almost falling to your death, I consider you a good intern to take on. Glad I didn't have to rescue you, your father would've not enjoyed seeing that on the news."

I made the little platform into a surfboard as I make a tiny wave to get down. I hop off of the platform and back onto the ground. Hawks was right next to me as we heard an explosion, he looks at me and quickly goes off. I follow behind him as he saves the people and tasked me with putting out the fire. I do as I was told and contained the fire within my blue ice walls. We were quickly off again as we heard more screams.

He saved a lot of people that day, and I assisted in some cases. Most praises I got were because of who my father was. A few were because I saved them. Within that day Hawks taught me I could save myself while saving as much people as I could. He also told me to focus on doing things quick instead of taking my time like I usually would. My reflexes got faster due to his random attacks he would do out of the blue to 'test my reflexes.' It was a hassle working with the young adult but I managed, and I managed it well.

Another thing we did during our internship was spar in his dojo he had. He would use his wings as a weapon and have me combat him with my ice weapon. We would do this for hours on end, it taught me to use my quirk beyond the cold, almost to where my fingers would fall off. It was a training exercise I had to get use to.

Sometimes Hawks would feel guilty because my overuse of my quirk. But I reminded him that I get colder than the average human. He discovered that I was resistant to fire. I remember the shock on his face as I entered a flaming building to save a kid, I didn't have any burn scars on me and this left the hero confused.