The Show Must Go On {17}

“Bennett,” I said, going up to him the next day.

                “Alexander,” Bennett said, stuffing a notebook in his locker. “You’re way too far into this relationship. Sex, with Neo Bartosz?”

                “How in the hell did you know that?” I asked.

                “The way he was walking this morning,” he said, shutting his locker. “You better hope Donnie doesn’t pick up on that.”

                “The walk of shame,” I said with a sigh.

                “It’s going to end badly. But you already know that,” he said.

                “Thanks for the vote of confidence.” I looked around. “Where’s Scott?”

                “Late. Did you even have to ask?” He raised an eyebrow at me.

                I looked over at Neo’s locker. He was crouched down awkwardly, staring intensely at a crumpled piece of paper. He sighed and tossed it back into his locker, pulling out a different crumpled piece and squinting at it. Looking content, he stuffed it in his bag and pulled himself to his feet.

                Donnie went over to him, and the two began to talk casually. I watched as Clifton joined them, saying something that made both of them laugh.

                “Stop staring before they notice,” Bennett said.

                “Bennett, I’m sick of this,” I said, throwing my arm out to stop him when he tried to walk past me. “I’m happy. Just because you’re paranoid, it doesn’t mean you have to fuck over MY happiness.”

                “You’re happy now. You won’t be if- no, when things go bad,” he said, glaring at me.

                “That’s life. Take some risks, deal with the consequences,” I said, matching his glare. “Quit trying to ruin this for me. I’m happy with Neo. I…shit, Bennett, I love him. It’s none of your business in the first place, so if you’re not going to just be happy for me, then shut your damn mouth about it. You are really starting to piss me off.”

                “James,” he hissed. “When you and Jake started dating, I told you I didn’t trust him. I told you. And when you pulled this ‘oh but I’m happy’ card, I shut my mouth about it. And then he forced you to have sex, he emotionally manipulated you, and he tore your heart out of your chest like it was his to own when he finally ditched you. If that wasn’t a lesson to listen to me, then you’re a moron, and I don’t pity you.”

                “Alexander!”

                I forced my anger back as I turned to face Donnie. “What?” I asked, straining my voice to sound casual.

                “I saw you staring at Neo,” he said, crossing his arms, glaring at me. So much glaring so early in the morning.

                “He’s cute,” I said. “What of it?”

                “I keep telling you to stay away from him, and you keep ignoring me. So either you leave him alone, or I ruin your damn reputation. I know things about you, Alexander.”

                “And we know things about you, so before you threaten Alexander, maybe you should consider if his reputation is worth it,” Bennett said, his mood already sour from our confrontation.