The Show Must Go On {20}

***Alexander’s POV***

                I tossed and turned on my bed, letting out a frustrated noise as the numbers on my clock changed. Link was sound asleep at the foot of my bed, sprawled over my legs. Vesper curled up on the pillow next to me, licking his paws and occasionally watching me.

                “Dammit,” I said at last, sitting up and freeing my legs from the dog.

                I turned on the light next to my bed and turned on some music to break the silence. I scrolled through my phone, mumbling along with the song playing.

                “If we burn it’s none of your concern, I guess we’ll never learn, I guess we’ll never learn. And I can hardly breathe when the lights go out, and I can feel the sparks when we shake the ground, and you can hear my thoughts screaming, soul leaving me as we’re falling to the floor when the ship goes down,” I sang along, hitting Scott’s contact and listening as the phone rang.

                “This early in the morning?” Scott’s sleepily voice grumbled out.

                “This early in the morning,” I confirmed.

                “Man, I don’t even know where my pants are,” he said.

                “Better find them quick, because I’m about to be on my way,” I said.

                “You sucks,” he said and hung up.

                I crawled out of bed and got dressed, gathering my school things. I crept out of the house, blasting music once I was in my car. I drove to Scott’s house, parking in the driveway.

                He stood up and climbed off his front porch, getting into the passenger seat. He leaned back, feet up on the dashboard.

                I pulled out of his driveway, taking off towards the school. “You can change the music,” I said.

                Scott shook his head, his messy hair falling in his face. “No. Let out your inner anguish in music or whatever it is you kids do these days.”

                “I’ll play the most angsty music I have,” I said.

                “Fill me with the hatred of 12 year olds,” he said.

                “I’ll play old Bring Me The Horizon songs,” I said.

                Scott snickered. “The tough lives of hardcore preteens.”

                I pulled into the parking lot of the school and we got out. We walked up the hill, sitting down on it. It was still dark out, but the street lights lined up near the school illuminated enough for us to see.

                “I don’t even know what to do when I see him in school,” I said.

                “Ignore him,” Scott said. “You’re better than begging for someone back.”

                “I’ve never wanted anyone back,” I said, running a hand through my hair.

                “Well, don’t start. Even if you were stupid enough to get back together with him, what’s stopping him from doing this to you again?” Scott asked.