The Show Must Go On {22} END

***Alexander’s POV***

                “Good morning,” I said to my friends as I stepped up to them. “I didn’t think I was running late enough that Scott would beat me here.”

                “That’s only because I picked him up,” Bennett said, shutting his locker.

                “You two make fun of me, but guess who’s never had a speeding ticket before,” Scott said.

                “None of us have had speeding tickets, Scotty,” I said.

                “When Link becomes my dog, the first thing I’m teaching him is to bite you,” Scott said.

                “My dog would never be yours, and would never bite me,” I said.

                “Both of you shut up. Do you want to go to dinner after school?” Bennett asked us.

                “I can’t,” I said with a shrug.

                “Tobias?” Bennett guessed.

                I smirked. “That is none of your business.”

                Bennett rolled his eyes. “Whatever. Are you going to your locker?”

                I nodded and the two of them followed me towards my locker. I put my combination in and pulled it open, searching around for the notebook that I needed.

                It had been a few months since the incident with Neo. We still texted each other sometimes, but the conversations were always awkward and just left me missing him more than before.

                Neo himself had transferred to the private school in town. There were a lot of rumors going on about why he had transferred. Some said it was because the private school was a Catholic school, and his parents were hoping it would snap him out of his homosexuality, as if that was even possible. Some said it was because Neo no longer had friends at our school now that Donnie and Clifton were mad at him. Some said it was because of a big fight he’d gotten in during lunch one day. I hadn’t been there, but I’d heard that it was a nasty fight.

                Bennett had looked into it for me. He said it seemed to be a combination of all the rumors. Whatever the cause, Neo wasn’t here anymore, and I hadn’t seen him since he’d transferred schools. I saw his parents at some events, and was always polite to them. But either Neo was avoiding any events that I could be at, or his parents just didn’t want to bring him anymore.

                I had stayed clear of any relationships initially, but slowly brought myself out of that fear of being hurt. I didn’t bother with dating anymore. If you got with me, you knew exactly what we were doing, and exactly how it would end.

                Although, I was currently spending a lot of time with my friend Tobias. I’d known him since we were younger thanks to our parents, but recently, we’d been spending a lot of time together.

                Bennett had tried to warn me against it, but I’d finally gotten him to shut up. He and Scott left me alone to do what I pleased with who I pleased. I was smarter now. I knew not to open my heart to anyone.

                “Will you hurry up? We’re going to be late to class,” Bennett said, snapping me out of my thoughts.

                “Hm? Sorry,” I said, standing up and shutting my locker.