The Show Must Go On {12}

“So, are you going to date Neo?” Scott asked.

                I shrugged. I was lying upside down on his bed, my head hanging off the edge. He was sitting on his desk, letting Isaac crawl up and down his arms.

                I shrugged, texting on my phone. “Probably.”

                “Are you texting him?” he asked.

                “No, Scott. I do have friends other than you and Bennett, you know,” I said.

                “I was just wondering,” he said, cupping Isaac into his hand before the newt could crawl up his sleeve. “You seem happier lately.”

                “When I say Neo is different, I’m not lying,” I said, glancing at him upside down.

                “Just don’t completely ignore Bennett. I’m not saying he’s right, but I’m not saying he’s wrong. Personally, I couldn’t care less. You can date whoever you want. I’m not your mom,” he said, setting Isaac back in his cage.

                “Such a compassionate friend,” I said, sitting up.

                “What? Like you care who Bennett or I date,” he said with a shrug. “We’re big boys. We can make our own decisions.”

                “What if Neo starts abusing me?” I asked.

                “That’s your problem. You know he bites,” Scott said.

                “What, are you saying if someone started abusing me, you wouldn’t step in? Even you, Mr. I-Don’t-Care-About-Anything, have had some bruised knuckles before,” I said.

                “I’m a mama bear at heart,” he said. “Plus if you get depressed, you’ll get more attached to your dog. I can’t have that.”

                “Greatest best friend in the world,” I said. “Go wash your hands. I’m hungry.”

                “You act like Isaac is dirty,” he said, jumping off of his desk.

                “Isaac IS dirty, Scott,” I said. “He’s a freaking Newt.”

                “Link licks his privates but you still let him lick your face,” Scott said, squinting his eyes at me. “You leave Isaac alone. I’m not a fan of you lately.”

                “I’m sorry I threatened the koalas, I’m sorry we make it uncomfortable when you’re trying to eat, and I’m sorry I called Isaac dirty,” I said with a sigh. “Please go wash your hands and let’s go meet Bennett for dinner.”               

                He glanced at Isaac. “Isaac, don’t let the bad man touch you.”

                I rolled my eyes as Scott left the room. I fell back on Scott’s bed, pulling out my cell phone as it buzzed again.

                From: Neo

                Hey fuckboy. I’m bored, entertain me.

                “Charming,” I mumbled, smiling a little as I replied.

                Scott came into the room, wiping his hands on his jeans. “You’re texting Neo,” he said, glancing at my face. “Don’t smile like that. It’s creepy. If you’re going to murder someone, my dad is downstairs. Leave me out of it.”