The Show Must Go On {6}

“Where’s Neo?” Scott asked as I sat back down at the table.

                “Probably in the bathroom trying to figure out what the hell just happened,” I said with a shrug.

                “Alexander, I really don’t like this,” Bennett said with a sigh. “Especially not when Neo’s mom and dad are here. Not to mention your own parents being here. If you’re going to go after Neo, at least do it when parents aren’t around.”

                “Bennett, you’re getting on my nerves. I know how to handle myself,” I said.

                “You’re getting riskier with your relationships. It’s a stupid choice on your part. If your parents knew, you’d be in a lot of trouble,” he said.

                “Well, that’s why we make sure no one gives me problems,” I said.

                Bennett glanced over as Neo came back. He sat down at the table, not looking at me as he fidgeted with his tie.

                “Neo, what happened to your face?” my dad asked curiously.

                “A rowdy boy in our neighborhood hit Neo,” Professor Bartosz answered, a bit too quickly. “It’s a shame how violent some kids can be!”

                “That is a shame! I can’t even imagine Alexander being violent like that,” dad said, shaking his head.

                “Violence is pointless,” I said, wondering if Neo’s father knew about his biting habit.

                “Bennett, who was that man Anna George had an affair with?” Mr. Winslow asked, leaning over the table a little towards his son.

                “Martin Wilkinson,” Bennett said.

                “Do you know every creepy detail about every person’s life?” Neo asked.

                “There’s not much I don’t know,” Bennett said. “I’m not someone you want as an enemy.”

                There was clearly an air of warning there. Neo recognized it and gave Bennett a dangerous grin.

                “Oh no, sir Bennett Winslow. I’d hate to have you as an enemy!” he said dramatically. “Anything but that!”

                Bennett sighed. “I really hate it when you talk to me.”

                “Ease up, Bennett,” I said, grinning over at Neo. I could see the light unease in Neo’s eyes as he watched me.

                “So far, I only like him,” Neo said, jerking a thumb at Scott. “And I’d still prefer being trapped in a room with Dandy Mott than this guy.”

                “You can just call me Dandy Scott,” Scott said.

                “That was embarrassing to hear, and I’d appreciate it if you didn’t talk for the rest of the night,” Neo said.

                “You dragged me into it,” Scott said with a shrug.

                “No, he dragged me into it which eventually led to me dragging you into it,” Neo said, now pointing at me. “Blame your poor choice of friends.”