The Show Must Go On {2}

I watched Donnie as he talked with one of his friends in class. I always forget that we had our last period together.

                “Come on Donnie, seriously?” the kid he was talking to said. He had been sitting at the lunch table, but had stayed quiet, unlike that little Neo pest.

                “Seriously. Look,” Donnie said, showing the kid his phone. They both laughed.

                The bell rang and I got up, glancing around. Seeing no sign of the trash that had disturbed us during lunch, I went over to Donnie.

                “Donnie,” I said as he gathered his stuff.

                He froze and slowly looked up at me. “Alexander. You’re not going to quit, are you?”

                “No, no I’m not,” I said, leaning against his desk. “I wanted to talk to you earlier, but that trash got in the way.”

                “That trash is my best friend,” the boy Donnie had been talking to said, glaring at me.

                “Clifton, go on. I’ll catch up with you and Neo in a little,” Donnie said.

                Clifton eyed me before nodding and leaving the room. Donnie stood up and sighed, running a hand through his hair.

                “We’re over, Alexander. You said it yourself. Why are you talking to me?” he demanded.

                “We don’t have to be over,” I said, giving him a flirty smile, reaching up and placing a hand on his chest.

                “Why now?” he said, a slight shake to his voice. “Why not when I tried to get you back? I thought you were dating Christian now, anyways.”

                “It wasn’t working out with him,” I said, slowly moving closer to Donnie.

                “You said that about us,” he said, his eyes darting to my lips and back to my eyes.

                “Maybe I was wrong.” I closed the distance between us, kissing him. He kissed me back, our lips moving together.

                But then he shoved me away, a terrified look in his eyes. He wiped his mouth and took a step back.

                “No!” he said. “No, I’m not falling for your tricks again! You just use people! I’m not your game anymore, Alexander!”

                “Game?” I smirked. “I was just trying to talk, Donnie.”

                “I’m not falling for this again,” he snarled. “You’re a shitty person. I hate you, Alexander. Stop talking to me.”

                I let out a whistle. “Hate is a pretty strong word.”

                “Good, then it’s accurate.” He glared and turned, storming out of the room.

                I chuckled and shook my head before calmly leaving the classroom. I went to the senior hallway, where Bennett and Scott were waiting for me.

                “Donnie just stormed by, looking like someone killed his puppy,” Bennett said.

                “We’re assuming that someone was you,” Scott said.