The Show Must Go On {4}

The bell rang, snapping me out of my bored thoughts. I grabbed my notebook and attempted to stuff it into my bag, eager to leave school.

                “Alexander.”

                I smirked and looked up at Donnie. He had a confident look on his face, but his fidgeting hands gave him away.

                “Yes Donnie?” I asked pleasantly.

                “What are you up to?” he asked suspiciously.

                “What?” I asked, my smirk growing.

                “You’re up to something!” he said, narrowing his eyes at me. “I…I can’t tell if you’re pissing off Neo on purpose or not, but it seems like you are! You better leave Neo alone!”

                “He has anger issues,” I said, closing my bag and slinging it over my shoulder, standing up.

                Donnie fidgeted more, confirming my thoughts. “He’s not a bad person. You’re a bad person. Neo just has a temper,” he said defensively.

                “A temper that gets him hurt,” I said, grinning and pointing to my eye.

                Donnie glared at me. “Leave Neo alone, Alexander.”

                “I wasn’t doing anything to him. It’s not my fault he gets angry so easily,” I said, shrugging.

                “I should’ve let him bite you,” he grumbled. “Stay away from him. I mean it. And stay away from me, too!”

                “I don’t want to.” I stepped closer, placing my hand on his hip and drawing him closer, our lips nearly touching. He stared at me, and I could sense the weakness in his eyes.

                “Get away from me,” he said, his voice shaky. I moved in to kiss him, but he turned his head so that I was kissing his cheek. He shoved me away. “Get the hell away from me! I’m done with you Alexander! I mean it!”

                “Donnie,” I said, my lips curving up into a grin.

                “Need any help here, Donnie?”

                I looked up at the sound of Neo’s voice. He was leaning in the doorway, his arms crossed and an eyebrow raised. The scar on his lip that gave him a permanent sneer actually made him look incredibly hot, even with the black eye.

                “I can handle it,” Donnie said, giving me a dirty look. “Let’s go, Neo.”

                Neo pushed himself away from the doorway and came over next to Donnie, lazily propping an arm on Donnie’s shoulder. He eyed me with disinterest.

                I ignored him and reached towards Donnie. But Neo’s head shot forward and he clamped his teeth on my finger.

                I yanked my finger away and stared at him in surprise. “Did you just bite me?”

                “I did,” he said, nodding. He looked overly pleased with himself.

                I wiped my finger on my jeans. “Watch who you mess with.”

                “Are you going to sue me? I doubt I’d be worth the time and energy,” he said. “Man, I wish I had rabies. You could be like the cheating wife in Cujo.”