1

Day by day.

Week by week.

It was all the same for Mya.

Avoiding her co-workers, being surrounded by other high profile people, forcing herself to appear interested while her ears were talked off into oblivion about God knows what anymore.

She didn't really care. Sometimes it was a good distraction from the noise in her mind.

In the beginning, it wasn't like this.

It was enjoyable. It was fun. It was something to look forward to every morning and in the late evenings. It was work of course, but it was also her career. She landed exactly where she wanted to — lived the life she wanted to.

The money was ludicrous and it still is. Her bank account and credit are graciously flawless and in tip-top shape just as she wished it so. A perfect life from the outside. A facade that was impossible to see through for most people because most people only cared about being financially stable, but Mya wasn't the same chipper spirit she once was when she first ended up in Saylo Enterprise.

The fall breeze whipped her dark hair around as she dug her hand deep into her purse, trying to find the keys to her modern house. She fumbled with the several items in her bag just barely grazing over them.

It goes like this.

She meets a man who was known to be a friendly flirt, nothing more, and nothing less to everyone in Saylo. That was until Mya started developing feelings for him.

Mya knew getting involved with a co-worker wasn't a good idea. Especially with everyone being friends with each other. There were no secrets among them — unfortunately. Everyone knew about Mya and Tristan.

She thought she had a worthy companion. Someone who she could be vulnerable to. She thought she found love. She was sure she felt an immense amount of it for him. How was she supposed to know he was going to break her heart?

She got into her house, dropping her purse on the floor, not caring that the purse in question ran her about 5 thousand dollars. Most people would gawk at the carelessness she exuded with such items now.

Nothing really mattered to her anymore. Mya Stone was nothing, but an empty shell of the woman she once was. Her smile was dim, if not dark. Her life had lost the thrill and excitement it once had.

Mya strolled her way to her personal mini-bar, which was part of the kitchen, grabbing a wine glass and pouring an aged and very expensive Château Cheval Blanc in it. It was one of the many wines in sight and after the breakup 1 year ago, drinking had become a habit.

The only thing that calmed her racing mind and tangled nerves was the buzz of any alcohol or liquor. Some of Mya's closest friends, that weren't co-workers, told her that she was becoming an alcoholic — that she is one now.

They warned her about using the drinks to alleviate her of her pain and sorrow.

Mya was sure nothing else helped her. Drugs weren't in her line of interest. The comfort of food didn't last long. Talking only made her relive the pain. Drinking was the easiest, quietest, and most accessible. It burned just the right amount and sometimes tasted just as she felt. She took her first sip, overlooking her living room, sighing in relief once the room temperature liquid slid down her throat.

Today was almost like every other day at work. She buried her head in her desktop, rummaged through her office, and occasionally snuck out for a snack or two, avoiding as many people as she possibly could.

Saylo Enterprise could've been a safe haven if Tristan wasn't still working there. He came into work, several different times, his schedule always fluctuating. They were both heads of their respective departments. Why wouldn't Tristan still work there?