9

"That was ... amazing," Mya breathed out. Her heart rate still higher than normal because of the adrenaline. "That was terrifying and fun at the same time."

Jessie laughed, leaning against the wooden railings of the boardwalk. Below was the beach, most of it shrouded in darkness, but the sound of crashing waves was all that mattered.

The bright LED light from the poles only reached so far, but it was more than enough to walk around and see everything on the boardwalk.

Mya brushed her hair behind her ears, looking out to the darkness in the deep distance, her purse resting on top of the railing. She barely made anything out that far, but it was still beautiful nonetheless. She moved her eyes to the other woman, who was staring out too.

Mya studied the perfect side profile. Jessie's bottom lip hung in a slight pout. The bridge of her nose extended and sharp, with a small curve into the rest. Her eyelashes long and beautiful and her short hair danced in the breeze. Her jawline soft.

Mya was melting inside — Jessie quiet and focused. But Mya noticed the overlap of thought in Jessie's changing facial expression and it intrigued her.

"What are you thinking about?" Mya asked, still staring.

Jessie smirked, her gaze still fixed forward. "Nothing."

Mya didn't buy it. "Are you sure?"

Jessie turned her face, her smirk turning into a confident smile. "Positive."

Mya smiled back and leaned in close to rest her side against Jessie.

You're so easy to read.

"I'm surprised you're so calm," Jessie said softly.

"What do you mean?" Mya asked, closing her eyes for a moment and listening closely to the waves.

"Most straight women consider something like this a mistake."

Mya opened her eyes back up, looking over at Jessie, who hunched over slightly, directing her gaze to Mya.

"What?" Mya said, confused.

"This. Sleeping with a woman. Going out ..."

Oh.

Mya took a moment to recollect. She didn't feel that hooking up with Jessie was a mistake, but she was beside herself, a little confused and questioning if sleeping with one woman actually meant anything to her sexuality.

Earlier today she thought about stopping it, but not because she regretted it.

Jessie continued, her tone melancholic, "I understand if you're ... If you regret this. Don't worry about it, you know? I know how these things go. You don't have to hang out with me and stuff."

Mya frowned at the horrible assumption. Is this what Jessie thinks? Is this what she's been thinking about? That she's some sort of repulsive mistake and Mya's pitying her?

"You don't get to make that choice for me," Mya stated a little harsher than she intended. "You don't get to assume I classify you as ... You think I think that ... you're a mistake?"

Jessie stood quiet.

"Jessie, you're not a mistake to me and it's unfair you think I'd describe you as such. To lump me in with other women — I ... this is the most fun I've had since—" Tristan left me.

Mya shook his name out of her head. "I don't regret you. Though I am extremely confused about this and never thought at 28 years old I'd be sleeping with a woman, I don't regret you. Mya Stone and assumptions don't mix. So do me a favor and don't assume."