10

Mya swirled the apple cider in her glass flute, staring into nothing as the multiple guests and workers of the summit engaged in their normal antics. Her black business slacks and tucked in white button-down pressed and clean. Her hair was pushed back, held by her ears.

She was caught in deep thought about a plethora of things, but one particular face and smile kept smudging the once comprehensive conceptions.

Despite that, Mya was tired. Her eyes were a little itchy despite the several espresso shots she drank to wake herself up and she was sluggish.

Jessie had left before Mya could wake up again. She didn't leave a note this time or even a text, which left Mya with a bitter taste in her mouth. Mya ended up texting the woman herself, but even now in the early afternoon she still hadn't received a text back.

She could still hear Jessie crying in her ears and it made her stomach turn with guilt that she didn't do anything more than pretend to be asleep.

Maybe if I did something she wouldn't have just up and left.

Fear of something happening to Jessie made her heart pound. She was sure the woman was okay, but she didn't know Jessie and couldn't really say that to herself with full confidence.

She just hoped Jessie would text her soon, with plans to do something. They didn't need to have sex, much like last night. They could just stay in Mya's hotel room, order room service, and eat. Mya would be more than satisfied with that — knowing that Jessie was safe from whatever she was upset about.

Mya drank the last of the cider in one go. She cleared her throat and brushed her hair behind her ears. Her eyes scanned any way out of the convention hall. She needed a breather. She needed a few minutes away from all of the commotion and people trying to talk to her.

"Mya?" She heard beside her. Mya turned and rested her eyes on Tristan in his casual business clothes. His hair was flat and he held a glass flute of his own drink in his hand.

Mya sighed softly, pinching the bridge of her nose. "Yes, Tristan?"

"Everything okay? You ... look stressed," He said.

No thanks to you.

Mya shook her head. "I'm fine. Just a lot on my mind."

He got closer, stopping just a few inches away. "A few of us are going out tonight ... you should join us. This place has a pretty nice nighttime scene."

"No, I, uh, have some things to do. Sorry," Mya said, completely aloof.

Tristan eyed the short woman. "Are you sure you're alright?"

"I'm fine. I just need fresh air," Mya said while leaving her empty glass on the long serving table, ready to make her departure.

Before she could make any ground, Tristan gently caught her arm, making Mya's breath hitch. Mya met eyes with Tristan, his facial expression suspicious. "What's wrong?"

Mya narrowed her eyes, snatching her arm away. "Nothing. What part of stay away don't you get?"

Mya's phone vibrated in her pocket. She instantly took it out, checking to see if it was Jessie. Tristan stood by, watching her curiously.

"I'm sorry I keep disappearing. I had something to take care of at home."

"Mya?"

Mya snapped up from her phone. "I have to take this. Enjoy your plans."