13

Being alone.

It was her fear and her peace at the same time.

It was a commonly shared fear amongst humanity, but Mya knew her half fear half safe zone was something more. It was being abandoned that made her stomach hurt — with no explanation, no closure, nothing. Whether it was someone being ripped away from the earth or someone disappearing without saying anything, it was that she found pernicious — utterly devastating.

Being abandoned made her feel insecure and undesired. And she had no idea when she started feeling so strongly about this, but she was sure Tristan's sudden leaving had a large part in it.

There was no time to adjust or prepare. Maybe that was why letting go had been so hard. Maybe the suddenness in which it all could happen — losing everything — made it come to fruition. An uncomfortable piece of reality it was.

Anyone could be taken away at any time. Anyone could decide they didn't want anything to do with her anymore. Why was life structured that way? And how did other people go about these worrisome truths?

But this wouldn't be a problem if she just stood to herself, just like she had been doing.

Mya thought for a moment that maybe she should go to therapy. People went to therapy for this sort of thing, right? She couldn't allow this to cripple her. The substantial amount of anxiety she was feeling because it was almost time to go back home was scaring her.

There were only 3 or 4 days left of the summit, she couldn't remember at the moment. She didn't want to. It was late, past midnight, and she was leaving the convention center and heading straight for Jessie's shop.

Last night they ended off on a better foot, walking a small park after dinner and then Jessie dropping Mya back off at the hotel because Jessie had to work all day today while Mya was busy with the summit.

Jessie had no idea Mya was on her way because she didn't say anything. Mya's been texting her throughout the day and the more they talked the more Mya realized she missed her. She figured paying an unexpected visit would do them both some good.

The night was breezy, a chill seducing Mya's soft skin into light goosebumps as she stepped out of the car that was parked directly behind Jessie's bike around back. The garage doors were open, but there wasn't a single car or person in sight.

Mya locked her car, walking inside. She wore a cardigan that covered her shoulders and arms in her dress. She even remembered to put on the sapphire necklace Jessie liked.

She looked around the place and listened for any noise, but heard nothing. It was eerily quiet and Mya jolted when she heard speakers pop on from several corners of the large garage, a soft static filling the air until a familiar voice broke through.

"You look absolutely beautiful tonight." Jessie's voice reverberated throughout the garage.

Mya chuckled and shouted up at the ceiling. "Where are you!?"

"Don't worry about that. Care to dance?"

Before Mya could yell her next answer, soft music started playing.

A few seconds later Mya's eyes snapped to a figure emerging from the dark toward the back. Mya's eyes adjusted to the darker woman who had on a white sports bra and her usual faded grey ripped jeans with her usual work boots. Jessie's hair was in a short ponytail, one strand hanging in front of her face.