22/100 - older

ok hi askdjk 

022

"Hey, Gaara?"

He hummed softly, keeping his eyes on the paperwork before him. It wasn't that he wanted to ignore you, more so he wanted to tend to you while preparing for his reign as Kazekage. If he had really desired it, you would have been dragged out by Kankuro or Temari hours ago. 

However, Gaara wouldn't lie to himself. He really enjoyed your presence. Even if he couldn't finish all his work earlier due to your childlike antics, he still wanted you with him. 

You're constant questions and comments made the work all the more bearable in his warm office, rather future office. 

"Do you think we'll still be friends when we're older?" You rested your head on his head, shunning the sandy floor that scratched your legs.

Gaara's eyes looked up to stare at you and he dropped his pen. 

A part of you wished he would say: "No, because we will be married." But that was only because you had recently finished a romance novel, which consequently made you daydream about romantic scenarios with Gaara.

"Of course," he replied.

"Hey, Gaara...?"

"Yes, [Name]."

"Do you think... you'll be married when you're older?"

Gaara paused for a moment to think to himself. He had never thought about getting married before, let alone having a girlfriend. 

He realized that the closest thing to having thing to having a girlfriend was you, but you two were only friends. 

Couples in the streets of Sunagakare kissed each other on the cheek and held hands, they would whisper sweet words and giggle in each other's arms. Do friends do this, too? 

"[Name], have we held hands before?" Gaara asked, suddenly. His mind had already forgotten your own question, but you didn't mind because you're face was too busy heating up.

With widened eyes, you tell him: "Multiple times, probably."

He knew he had never kissed you, ever.  And he was sure you two had shared a few laughs, perhaps thousands of times. "We have held each other before, right?"

You pursed your lips and thought for moment, recalling every single memory you could muster of Gaara. "Yes..."

It made sense to him now. Although you were not his girlfriend, he realized that you certainly acted like one in some sense. You were the closest female to him, after all. 

"Perhaps when we are older," Gaara began. "We could be married."

By the time he had finished his sentence, he grabbed his pen and continued his work. All with an apathetic expression, as though he had not just said something so heart throbbing. No, really. You could hear your pulse in your ears.

"G-Gaara, don't kid yourself." You laughed, nervously. Then you had lowered your voice in a sheepish manner. "You would have to be in love with me."

Gaara wasn't sure what it was like to be in love, he knew it wasn't the same as his love for his siblings or his former teacher, Yashamaru. Or even the same love for this village.  He didn't question it, he would just have to ask Temari later on.