27 - longing

this was really fun to write! i hope you enjoy!

027

"You miss him," a particular pink-haired kunoichi smiles at you. "Don't you?"

After the village sent word to Konoha, a group of familiar faces had shown up at the entrance of the village, quelling your anxieties.

Sakura Haruno, in particular, spent a lot of her time with you. Here you were, assisting her in Sunagakure's greenhouse. She spent a good portion of the morning concocting an antidote for Kankuro, who was bedridden with poison.

"What makes you say that?" You tilt your head at her, eyes searching for an explanation.

"Well, he is your best friend, right?" She counters with raised brows.

You nod, slowly. What remained of Gaara was a shadow that casted over every thought you held. He lingered in the crevices of your dreams, in memories that came rushing in broken pieces, and faces that you mistaken as him. Gaara was everywhere around you, yet nowhere all at once.

Yes, you missed him. You missed him dearly.

Sakura fills the silence that falls amidst you, placing down a flask on the table before her.

"It feels like something's always missing, you know?" Her voice is a soft whisper. She looks outward. Her eyes are as glassy as the greenhouse windows she peers through. "Like one day, they're with us and we're laughing together and making memories. Then the next day... they stop existing."

Her words began to resonate with your emotions, sending you into a whirlwind of spiraling thoughts. In all honesty, talking to her made you miss Gaara even more. The more you listened, the more you thought about Gaara.

Oh, how you longed to see him.

You didn't even notice the tears pooling in your eyes, or the way your cheeks began to flush with pink. Sakura didn't notice either, until she finally averted her gaze towards you. Without warning, she comes with an immediate consolation.

"[Name]..." She unfolds her arms to wrap them around your unsuspecting body.

You lean into the comfort of her embrace. She doesn't even mind that your tears stain her shirt, or that your arms tighten around her. She lets you sob into her.

"I do miss him," you say between sniffles. "I miss him, terribly."