9/100 - promise

i have an urge to write an au!gaara x reader with actual long chapters

like i already have a plan for it and everything and i wrote the first chapter it's like 2000 words-- gOD someone stop me

009

You knew that ever since Naruto changed Gaara, he'd been wanting to warm up the hearts of the villagers. He wanted their respect, for them not to see him as a monster. Though that goal was quite a difficult one to achieve, Gaara was ready to face whatever was to come.

One of the things that Gaara was to do to reach this goal of his, was to go on missions with a pair Suna ninja for a joint mission with the ninja from Konoha.

Worried as you were, Temari had to reassure you that Gaara was going to be fine, but her words weren't the right ones to console you. She gaped at you for a few moments before sighing, it only took her a short while for her to realize your feelings for her brother, only making her understand your worry. But this...this was something that wasn't in need of anxiousness, Temari was pretty sure that this mission wasn't going to be a dangerous one.

Kankuro was there to share your doubts for Gaara. Even he himself had a talk with Gaara, talking about how the villagers were still terrified of him, their feelings did not change even if Gaara's did.

A part of you wished that you could fully believe that Gaara would be able to win the hearts of the village, but knowing the attitude of the civilians...you weren't sure if he could.

"Gaara..." You clutched at the fabric over where your heart would be, "You don't have to go."

Over time, Gaara had been able to speak more, and so conversations wouldn't be just carried out by just you yourself. So when you  had spoken those words, Gaara found the worry embroidered in your voice and turned to you.

"I will be okay, [Name]. There's no need to fret."

You watched as he stepped closer to you, his soft expression matching the way he had spoken that sentence so flawlessly, not even a breath that sounded like he too was also nervous could be searched for.

There was a moment of silence before you felt an unexpected weight placed on the top of your head, it was there for a long while until you narrowed your eyes towards Gaara, finally concluding that he had patted your head. Hopefully he wouldn't notice the blush that dared to creep on your cheeks, but unbeknownst to you, he did.

His heart only stirred just the slightest at the sight.

"I promise, I will come back unscathed."