28 - memory

i'm back !
the holidays ended up being sooo hectic and busy i couldn't find the time to write and now my second semester of uni started so rip ( AND I HATE IT ) .... but anyways one of my goals for the new year is time management so hopefully i can make time to write more often !!!!!

028

Usually during sleepless nights, you would find Gaara sitting on the rooftop of his home, cursed with the inability to sleep. But tonight there was no Gaara to run to, no red-head Kazekage to keep you company. How many days has it been? You fear that if you count, you'll end up counting forever.

You sink into your bed, eyes wide open, left with nothing but thoughts with an affinity to Gaara. You recall the chūnin exams and immediately a lonesome air settles all around you. The memory of his face is burned deep into the crevices of your mind. His glossy eyes were as vivid as if it were yesterday. You remember the way they were threatening to betray him, his voice had already done so, cracking at every word he spoke. 

For a moment, you were 11 years old once again.

"I'm sorry," Gaara says in a whisper. "I was–"

He pauses for a moment, the sight of your bandaged injuries made him look away, immobilizing him on the edge of the hospital bed. His transformation into the One Tail–and his inability to control himself–put you in this damned room. 

"I was supposed to protect you." He admits. The taste of disdain stings his tongue like poison.

You stare at Gaara, noticing the frown tugging at the corners of his lips. 

"I'm alive, aren't I?" You respond, a soft smile decorating your expression. You hope that it's enough to console him, to eventually move past everything and go back to normal.

"But you're hurt all over."

A symphony of crickets just outside your bedroom window takes you out of your thoughts. You look up at the moon, a particular sense of yearning overcomes your body. Oddly enough, missing Gaara was comforting. When you shut your eyes, the memory freshly lingers behind your eyelids. 

Before sleep finally takes you under its wing, you remember Gaara's voice from that day.

"I won't hurt you again, [Name]." He places a hand on your unsuspecting ones. "I promise."