Nightmares

Despite it being the middle of the night, Ford felt a pair of eyes on him. The man had decided to retire for the night hours ago, but surviving in the multiverse for so long he picked up on some survival instincts. One of which was to know when he was being watched. Besides, he was an insomniac. Sleeping had never been easy for him.

Ford scanned the room. He could see a pair of brown eyes starring at him through the door crack. Ford shot up and almost screamed before realizing what, or who, it was.

"Dipper?"

Dipper flinched, but then poked his head in, "Uh... did I wake you up? Sorry..." Dipper started to leave, but was stopped by Ford.

"Wait, what are you doing up?" Ford asked.

"I... um... was just getting a drink and I... got lost and ended up here..." Dipper explained. Maybe some of the statement was true, but Ford didn't believe it in the slightest. Still, he didn't push.

Ford swung his legs off the side of the bed, "Alright, let's get you that drink," Ford started to walk to the kitchen.

"You don't have to, Grunkle Ford. Sorry for waking you up!" Dipper apologized as he followed.

"It's fine, Dipper. Do you want milk or water?"

"Water's fi-ne," his sentence broke. Ford turned around to see Dipper covering his mouth. He used his other hand to wipe the few tears that slipped from his eyes away. "Sorry."

Ford handed Dipper the glass of water, "You didn't do anything wrong, Dipper. You don't have to apologize," Ford explained as Dipper sipped on the water.

"I'm not going to push, my boy, but I'm assuming the reason you're up at-" Ford glanced at the clock, "-two in the morning wasn't just because you were thirsty. Care to tell me?" If Dipper didn't want to tell him what was wrong, that was fine, but Ford was rightfully concerned.

"It was just a nightmare..." Dipper stated.

"A bad one?"

More tears formed in Dipper's eyes. He wiped these away with his shirt, "...yeah."

"What about?"

"I... well, there was... you were... it was..." Dipper sipped on the water some more. More tears fell. The boy made no attempt to wipe these away.

"You were... you were really sick and you..." Dipper's voice cracked and he trailed off. Ford didn't need Dipper to finish the sentence, he had an idea what had happened. The only sound that filled the air was Dipper's soft murmurs as he tried to stop crying.

"Grunkle Ford, I can't lose you! I just can't!" Dipper cried.

"Shhhhh, shhhh, shhhh, it's okay, Mason," Ford comforted, pulling Dipper into a hug. "Shhhhh, I'm right here."

"Grunkle Ford, I read what you wrote about me. In journal number three. Before we threw it into the Bottomless Pit," Dipper mumbled out, between sobs. "I read how you said you were impressed with my journal entries, and how you saw a kindred spirit in me, and how you were worried I wouldn't look up to you if I found out you worked with Bill," he murmured, breath shaking. "Grunkle Ford, you mean a lot to me! I can't lose you! I can't!"

Ford hugged the boy closer to himself, "Shhhhh, it's alright, my boy."

"-And, and I read about the weirdness magnet. When I told you my name. And, how you started to form the apprenticeship idea after that! It meant a lot to me. Even though I didn't accept the deal at the time," Dipper explained. "Grunkle Ford, thanks for letting me come back here and be your apprentice, even though I initially declined. I'm really glad to be here," Dipper explained. Although tears were still falling, Dipper was smiling. 

"I'm glad you're here too, Mason," Ford stated, as Dipper was still wrapped up in the hug. "All of us are safe. Stanley is asleep in his room, and I'm here."

"Sorry for waking you up, Grunkle Ford. I just... after the nightmare I kinda freaked out and I wanted to make sure you were okay. I really didn't mean to wake you up!" 

"That's enough, my boy," Ford scolded. The stern tone caught Dipper off guard. "You don't have to apologize. I figured something was bothering you, and nightmares affect even me. After Weirdmageddon ended, before your sister and you went home, I'd sometimes have nightmares Bill was hurting the two of you. Often, those dreams led me to the attic, so I could make sure you kids were safe," Ford smiled softly, "Point is, you're not the only one who has nightmares, and you don't need to apologize for having them. Least not to me," Ford explained. Dipper smiled sadly. 

"Thanks for talking to me, Grunkle Ford," 

"Of course! Ready to go back to bed now?" Ford questioned. 

"I think so, yeah..." Dipper confirmed. "Night Grunkle Ford!" 

"Goodnight, Dipper," Ford said as he watched Dipper walk back up the stairs to the attic.

*   *   * 

After about 20 minutes, Ford felt a pair of eyes starring at him. He glanced at the door to see Dipper's familiar brown eyes. The man walked towards the door. 

"Dipper? Need something else?"

"I... um...couldn't fall back asleep..." he admitted. "I was wondering... uh... if..." Dipper trailed off.

"Yes?" Ford guessed there was something Dipper wanted, but was too scared to ask.

"Is it... uh... okay if I... maybe... stay here tonight?" Dipper finally spit out, looking away from Ford.

Ford smiled, "Sure, just don't make it a habit."

Dipper smiled and crawled into Ford's bed. Ford lied down next to him. Dipper was out in a few minutes. Ford watched his chest go up and down as he slept. The boy seemed so peaceful when he slept. Hopefully, this time Dipper wouldn't have any nightmares.

Ford felt himself start to drift off. He took one last look at Dipper to make sure he was okay. Ford smiled and fell asleep, knowing they were both safe.