April 25th

Whispers here, strange looks there. It wasn't anything Dipper wasn't used to. In fact, he'd almost expect it from bullies at school.

But not from the Mystery Shack employees. Not from his family. So, when he woke up on April 25th, he was surprised at the hushed voices that seemed to fill the store.

He entered into the gift shop to see Stan talking to Soos. However, as soon as he entered, the two gave each other a nodd, and Soos left.

"Morning kiddo!" Stan greeted in a cheery, almost fake voice.

"Uh... morning? What were you and Soos talking about?"

Stan waved him off, "Eh, just Mystery Shack stuff. Y'know, stocks, payments, the like. Nothing for you to worry about!" Stan exclaimed, crossing his arms and looking away.

"Uhh... alright then," Dipper replied. He wasn't sure if he believed Stan. That reaction was odd, almost as if he was lying. But, maybe it really was none of his concern. "I guess I'll go see what Grunkle Ford has planned for today..."

"Nothing planned for today," a voice stated. Dipper turned around to see Ford. The man was about to walk off before Dipper stopped him.

"Wai-wait! Nothing planned for today?" Dipper repeated in a confused voice.

"Nothing planned for today," Ford reiterated. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm very busy," Ford commented, walking out of the room.

Dipper stood there in shocked silence. Ford was busy? Busy doing what? Was he adventuring without him? Did Ford... not need him anymore?

No, that was crazy! Perhaps this particular expedition was just too dangerous for him. Like, maybe Ford was fighting aliens! And maybe he'd come home with cool alien technology!

Besides, with no apprenticeship work, he could spend all day playing video games or reading! It wouldn't be that bad!

Still a sinking feeling lingered in the back of Dipper's mind.

* * *

Dipper decided to walk around town. There was really nothing else to do. Even Mabel wasn't answering his texts, which was rather odd for her. Usually his sister wouldn't stop texting.

As Dipper was walking, he spotted something strange, "Grunkle Stan's car?" He mumbled out loud, seeing the familiar car in front of the laser tag arena.

Maybe it was just the same model? But as he got closer, he could confirm it was Grunkle Stan's car. The licence plate read "Stanley." Why would Grunkle Stan be at the laser tag arena of all places?

Dipper walked inside to see what was going on. His heart sunk. There was Grunkle Stan, Grunkle Ford, Mabel, Wendy, Soos, and even his parents. They were all smiling and talking amongst each other. It looked like they were having a party.

Without him.

Dipper took a breath in and exited the building. No wonder they were all acting so off. They were having a party without him and didn't want him to get in the way.

'It's fine!' Dipper told himself. If he was planning a party he wouldn't have invited himself either.

* * *

"Uh doods, I feel like we're forgetting something," Soos commented. The group looked around.

"There's no way! We have a reservation, we have catering, we have-"

Ford was interrupted by Wendy, "Uhh... guys. Where's Dipper?"

The group looked around. "...we forgot to invite him..." Ford realized.