Shopping

Requested by Trombone_Writer

Stan watched his two nerds. Dipper was currently laying on the Mystery Shack's sofa, trying not to fall asleep. Ford also looked as if he was on the verge of sleep as he sipped his coffee.

"You two work too much," Stan commented, drinking his own coffee. Ford shrugged. Dipper had his eyes closed.

"You fall asleep, Dip?" Stan questioned.

"-still 'wake.. " he mumbled, sitting up and rubbing his eyes. "I don't understand why I'm so tired."

Stan laughed, "You guys are obviously burnt out!" He paused, "Why don't you two take a break from work today? Go into town and hang out or something!" Stan suggested.

Ford thought it over for a few moments, "Hmm... alright! What do you say, Dipper?" No response, "Dipper?"

"Hmm...?" He murmured, "Oh, y-yeah, sounds good!" Dipper yawned out. Ford couldn't help but chuckle.

*   *   *

Ford and Dipper arrived downtown, "What do you want to do?"

Dipper shrugged, "I don't really know," he admitted.

"What do you usually do when your in town?"

"Usually just follow Grunkle Stan around," Dipper laughed, "Uhh we could go to the mall? If you want to, of course. I know a lot of the stores closed, but compared to the local mall in Piedmont, it's one of the better ones," Dipper explained. Ford started driving towards the mall.

"Anything specific you want to do there?"

Dipper shrugged, "Not really... maybe just look at some of the shops?" He suggested.

"Sounds good to me," Ford replied, parking the car in the mall parking lot. Dipper exited the car and waited for Ford to get out before following him inside.

"This looks... the same as it's always been," Ford admitted. Dipper laughed.

"The mall hasn't changed in thirty years?"

Ford looked around, "Guess not. Although you did say many of the stores closed, correct?"

Dipper nodded, "Yeah. Everyone says it's because more people shop online nowadays, but I think it's because the prices can't keep up with competition. I mean, the store has to pay for a spot, on top of other bills. However, many of the items prices are too high. A shirt that's worth at most $10 would be sold for $25. People aren't gullible when it comes to their money!" Dipper explained.

Fors listened to his explanation, "Interesting. Have you considered the in person stores couldn't keep up with their online counterparts?"

"I have," Dipper replied, "Although I think that's a factor, retail stores don't charge unreasonable prices either."

"Take my cap," Dipper started, taking off his hat, "Grunkle Stan gave it to me, but the original price was about $8.99," he explained. He then lead Ford to a nearby kiosk stocked with different caps. "Now, this hat?" He pulled a random cap off the shelf, "$30?? Way too overpriced," Dipper explained.

Ford thought for a moment, and then lit up, "I wonder if Dragon's Den is still open!"

"Dragon's Den?"

"It was a store that sold Dungeons, Dungeons, and More Dungeons merchandise. Dice, guidebooks, different campaigns. Come on, my boy! We have to go see!" Ford exclaimed, leading Dipper further into the mall.

The two arrived at the exact opposite end of the mall, only to be met with an "out of business," sign and a slightly disappointed Ford.

"Sorry it's closed..."

"It's alright my boy!" Ford replied instantly, "Nothing to be sorry about. I just wish it was still open. You would've loved this store!" He exclaimed. Dipper smiled slightly.

"How about this," Ford started, "How about I give you some spending money, and we'll split up. We could meet back here in about an hour and eat lunch?" He suggested.

Dipper gave a thumbs up, "Alright!" He responded as Ford handed him a $20 bill.

"Spend it wisely!" He mentioned, as Dipper started to wander off.

*   *   *

Dipper looked around the mall at the different shops. There were quite a few things that would interest him. The arcade, lazer tag, the book store. However, he didn't want to spend too much. This was Grunkle Ford's money after all.

Instead, he entered a few stores to see if anything would stand out to him. However, his theory was so far proving to be true. Most of the items he was interested in were either over $20 or overpriced in general. Dipper wasn't expecting to find anything special when entering the next store.

After a quick glance around the shop, Dipper was about to leave when something caught his eye out of the clearance bin. A pair of gloves. And not just any old gloves. Polydactyly gloves.

They'd be perfect for Grunkle Ford!

Dipper was delighted to see the item was only $5.99 plus tax. He immediately bought the gloves and went back to meet spot.

About ten minutes later, Ford returned. "Greetings, my boy. What did you end up buying?"

Dipper smiled brightly, "I bought you something!" He exclaimed, handing back the unspent money to Ford. Ford looked at it in silence.

"Wait, you only spent $7?"

"They were only $6 plus tax, and I told the cashier to keep the change," Dipper explained, pulling out the pair of polydactyly gloves and handing them over to Ford.

Ford was stunned. He chuckled as he tried on the gloves, "Guess we both had the same idea."

"What do you mean?"

"I bought something for you as well," he smiled, "Stan and I figured you weren't sleeping well and it is rather cold in the Mystery Shack's attic," Ford explained. "I found a heated blanket, and I immediately thought of you and bought it!" He said, handing Dipper the bag it was in.

Dipper felt the fabric between his fingers, "It's so soft," his eyes widened. Ford smiled, glad to see Dipper satisfied.

The two started to exit the mall, "So, where do you want to eat?"

"Hmm... uh... how about pizza?"

"Sounds good!"