Crash

Tw: So, to summarize, this is Dipper waking up in the hospital after a car crash. Due to the nature of this one-shot, it might be a bit more gorey than what I usually write. Nothing too bad, but still! If you think the injuries or hospital setting might trigger you, then it's probably not a good idea to read this!

"D i p p e r?"

"D i p p e r ,  y o u ' r e  g o i n g  t o  b e  o k a y!"

"Y o u ' l l  b e  a l r i g h t ,  M a s o n-"

Dipper tried to open his eyes, but couldn't gain enough energy to. However, he kept hearing a voice call out to him. Was it Grunkle Stan? Grunkle Ford? Whoever it was, they wanted him to wake up. He wanted to wake up. He needed to.

So, with all of his energy, he opened his eyes. He immediately closed them. It was bright. Too bright. Everything was bright. Why was everything so bright?

Did he die? No, he was still alive. Despite the blinding lights he could still hear his heart beat and he could feel shaky breaths come from his body.

So, once again he opened his eyes. He squinted to try to see what was going on. It looked white. Sanitary. Like maybe a doctor's office? But, why was he laying down as if he were in bed?

That's when Dipper noticed the IV in his arm and a cast on his leg. He gave the room a quick glance. It was a hospital room. Something happened and he ended up in the hospital. But, if he was here, where were the Stans-? Please let them be okay!!

He let out a sigh of relief when he spotted his grunkles. Ford was reading. He was tapping his foot as if he was nervous. Stan was talking on the phone quietly.

"Grun-kle Fo-rd?" Dipper spoke. His voice sounded terrible. How long was he out for? Despite his croaky voice, Ford heard and immediately looked up. A small smile formed when the man noticed Dipper's curious brown eyes looking at him.

Ford walked over to him, "Hey, Dipper..." He sounded choked up. Was Ford crying? "How are you feeling?"

"...confused..." Dipper stated, "What happened?"

"The hospital staff said you probably wouldn't remember," Ford commented. "There was a car crash, my boy. We were on our way home from Greasy's Diner, and a drunk driver hit our car."

"Oh..." Dipper sighed. "Are you and Grunkle Stan okay?"

"We're fine," Ford stated. "We just got a few bruises, that's all..." he sighed and looked down.

"So... I can see my leg's broken. Anything else I should be aware of?"

"You have a mild concussion," Ford explained, "-and you lost some blood, but that's the severity of it. You'll heal up in a few weeks."

Dipper looked at his leg again. "A few weeks, huh?" He mumbled. His apprenticeship required him to walk. Did that mean he couldn't be Ford's apprentice anymore. Did he have to go back to California? He didn't want to.

"Uh... so what happens now?"

"I don't know how much longer you have to stay here, but after you get out, we'll take care of you at home until you get back on your feet,"

"...I don't want to give this up..."

"Give what up?"

"The apprenticeship..." Dipper mumbled.

"You don't have to," Ford replied.

"But my leg-"

"Your leg will heal, my boy," Ford reminded, placing his six-fingered hand on Dipper's check, "-and even if it didn't, I'd still want you as my apprentice."

"But I can't walk," Dipper sighed, "Not without crutches at least,"

"So?"

"So, I'm not going to be able to go on adventures or anything. I'm useless..."

"Don't you dare speak about yourself that way, Mason," Ford scolded. "You are not useless! Dipper, I wouldn't be here right now if it wasn't for you. You're the one who saved my life at the Alien Crash Site. Most of the town wouldn't be here right now if it wasn't for you. You're the one who braved the apocalypse for three days alone in a desperation to get to your sister! You're not useless, my boy."

Dipper nodded in silence. He seemed shocked by Ford's words. Ford continued in a softer tone

"Maybe you can't go on adventures for a bit, but that's okay. We have other stuff to do until you can! Besides, you need to rest up."

Dipper didn't respond. "Dipper?"

"S-sorry..." Dipper stuttered. Ford noticed him wipe liquid out of his eyes. "I... ugh... s-sorry..."

"Dipper, what's wrong my boy?"

"N-nothing,"

"Hey, I-I didn't mean to yell at you," Ford comforted, "I just, don't like it when you put yourself down like that."

Dipper nodded, but tears wouldn't stop forming. Ugh, what was wrong with him?

"Come here," Ford wrapped Dipper into a soft hug. Dipper couldn't help but continue to cry into Ford's chest as the man rubbed his back and cooed comforting words to him. Dipper didn't want to let go.

"You're so brave, Mason, you know that?" Ford asked, rubbing his back. "After the car was hit, right before passing out you asked us if we were okay," Ford commented, "I know you don't remember, but even when you were in so much pain, your first thought was to check on us."

Dipper was still crying, but he calmed down slightly. Did he really do that? Ford kept speaking, "You've been so strong through this whole ordeal. It shouldn't have happened. You shouldn't have to be in the hospital right now. I'm sorry it happened," Ford soothed.

"Grunkle Ford, I-" Dipper sobbed out, "I just..." Dipper couldn't get his words out. Luckily, he didn't have to. Ford knew what he was trying to say.

"Shhhhhh," Ford soothed, "It's all going to be okay." Ford ran his fingers through Dipper's hair. The action was comforting. "I'm so proud of you, Mason. For everything,"

Dipper's breathing slowly returned to normal as his tears ceased. Yet, his grip on Ford's torso remained the same.

"Are you okay, my boy?"

"I don't want to let go," Dipper admitted.

"Shhh, you don't have to," Ford hushed. It wasn't long before the exhausted boy fell asleep on Ford's chest. Ironically, Dipper wasn't the only one who didn't want to let go. Neither did Ford.

A/n: I mentioned Stan was talking on the phone. He was explaining the situation to Dipper and Mabel's parents.