If I'm Not the Smart Guy

A/n: Based on a chapter from "I'm Staying," by Fanfiction1090 Enjoy!

"So..." Ford began. "How was school?" This was weird.

Dipper was technically homeschooled under Ford's apprenticeship. However, due to Oregon State law, Dipper had to attend public school for at least one day. This allowed them to make sure he wasn't falling behind.

Dipper shrugged, "Fine..."

"You look tired," Ford commented.

He shrugged again, "I guess. I did have to wake up at six in the morning. Way too early for me,"

"I can't imagine taking a bunch of tests helped either. You must've been bored out of your mind! Nonetheless, I'm sure you aced all of them!" Ford commented, driving home.

"Haha... yeah! I sure aced all of them!" Dipper gave an awkward laugh.

Ford frowned, "Are you alright?"

"...yeah!" Dipper exclaimed, "Just, y'know... tired..."

Ford nodded, "Well, lucky for you we don't have any work today. I figured you'd be too exhausted from school to work."

"Wh-what?" Dipper questioned, "I mean, I am exhausted, but I can still work! I can be helpful! I can-"

This reaction was interesting to say the least. "Dipper, it's alright. You obviously need some rest, and I can't blame you for that. If you ask me, the school day starts way too early. Those poor kids are too tired to comprehend anything, and- well I'm not going to get into it, but I've always hated the school system."

Dipper perked up a bit, "You have? I always thought you liked school because... y'know... you're smart."

Ford burst out laughing, "Between the start times, the homework, and the bullying? No way!"

"But like... what did you think of the classes? Like... uh..." Dipper trailed off.

Ford thought for a moment, "Math and science were always my favorite, as you can probably expect. English was okay, but I didn't like poetry. History was alright."

Dipper nodded, "Alright..."

Ford looked at him, "Hey, is something wrong? You look really down..."

Dipper gave a chuckle, "Of course not! Just tired," he replied.

*   *   *

Ford was reading when he got a call from the school, "Hello? Stanford Pines speaking. Oh... I see...thank you," he replied before hanging up.

The man headed up the stairs and knocked on Dipper's door. A hesitant, "Come in," sounded.

"Hey Dipper. I just got your testing results back from the school,"

Dipper looked down, "I know, okay?" Tears started to form in his eyes, "I know I failed the math portion! I just, I suck at math! I was so confident too! I swear, I double checked my answers and I just, always mess up. Now everyone knows I'm stupid..."

"Dipper, I don't think you're-"

"I can't believe I failed the math portion! I'm supposed to be good at math! That's like, the one thing I'm supposed to be good at! If I'm not the smart guy then who am I? I'm just nobody! No muscles, no brains, I'm nothing without your journal. And we threw that into the bottomless pit at the end of summer, so I really am nothing! How could I be so stu-"

"MASON!!"

Dipper froze. He refused to look at Ford.

"Mason, look at me, please,"