Rough Nights

"MASON!"

Dipper flinched and turned around to face Ford. He'd never heard the elder say his real name with so much contempt in it. In fact, he didn't think he'd ever heard Ford so upset before.

A dark shadow seemed to loom over the man when Dipper looked up at him. The elder took a few steps forward, "I'm tired of this..."

"Of what...?" Dipper asked, nervously. He didn't like where this was heading.

"Of YOU!" The word "You," physically hurt Dipper. He felt tears well up in his eyes and pushed them back down just as quickly.

"Wh-what?" Dipper backed up, "Did I do something wrong?"

"Uh yeah. Pretty much everything," Ford said this as if it was an obvious fact everyone should know. "Mason, to be clear, you're the worst person I know. You're extremely stupid. I don't know why I ever wanted you as an apprentice." Dipper felt Ford towering over him. He felt so small compared to him.

"Besides, you're short, lazy, and weak. I got another Dipper to replace you. A better Dipper."

Dipper's heart sunk when he saw Ford had replaced him with Dippy Fresh. He thought at least Ford liked him for who he was. Now he could see how wrong he was.

"Why don't you leave? And don't bother coming back. Nobody wants anything to do with you! I never wanna see you in my line of sight again!" Ford exclaimed as Dipper was now outside of the Mystery Shack. The man slammed the door in his face. Not knowing what else to do, Dipper ran into the forest.

"Dipper?"

Hearing Ford's voice now just made him angrier. The man wanted nothing to do with him. Why was he calling out for him?

"Dipper...?"

"Go away!" Dipper yelled, but it was broken by sobs giving away heartwrenching tears.

"Dipper, wake up!"

Dipper shot straight up in bed, still breathing heavily. He looked around. He was in his room in the Mystery Shack. He sighed and laid back down, "It was just a dream..." he sighed. He then shot back up, seeing the sun already high in the sky.

"What time is it?"

"About ten," Ford responded, "You don't usually sleep in this late, so I decided to wake you up," he frowned, "Rough night?"

Dipper nodded tiredly, "Sorry Grunkle Ford," he rubbed his eyes, "I'll get up. Give me a moment." Ford nodded and left.

Dipper continued to rub the sleep out of his eyes as he got dressed. What a nightmare. Dreams were weird. No. He wasn't gonna think about it! Maybe if he didn't think about it for long enough he'd forget the dream entirely. Dipper nodded to himself looking in the mirror, and then headed downstairs to meet Ford.

"Sphynx?" The boy questioned impatiently. He was really excited to see the creature for himself and take notes on it.

"I don't know my boy..." Ford sighed. Dipper's eyes widened.

"Because I overslept? M-maybe we can still track it down!" He exclaimed quickly. Now Ford thought he was lazy.

Lazy

Don't think about it! Don't think about it! Dipper shook his head, trying to get the thoughts out of his brain.

"No, of course not!" Ford exclaimed, "It's just, I think it'd be better to stay home today. You look exhausted,"

"I'm not that tired! I'm fine!"

"Woah, what happened to you, kid?" Stan entered the room. Dipper sighed. Did he really look that tired?

"Just... didn't sleep well, that's all."

"In that case, why don't you stay home today instead of... uh..." he glanced at the two, "Doing whatever monster hunt you had planned. You could watch movies or play your game," he shrugged.

"Yeah, that sounds good. What do you say Dipper?" Ford asked.

Dipper sighed. He was fine, really! Just a little tired! Ford caught onto his hesitation.

"Alright, how about this. We'll go track down the sphynx. But, let me know if you want to go home!"

Dipper smiled, "Alright Grunkle Ford!"

After a lengthy walk into the forest, Dipper's legs started to weigh down as his eyes grew heavy. He was tired! But they were already so far into the woods. They couldn't turned back now! Besides, he was really looking forward to this expedition! He should be strong enough to tough it out! If they turned back now, Ford would think he's weak.

Weak

Don't think about it! Don't think about it!

"Dipper?"

"Hm?" Dipper looked up at Ford.

"Do you want to go home?"

No, I'm fine! Let's keep going! He sighed, "I'm sorry..." he sighed.

"It's alright, my boy!" Ford exclaimed, "No need to apologize!"

"But now you think I'm weak..." Dipper frowned.

"Woah, what?" Ford exclaimed, kneeling to meet Dipper at eye level, "I don't think you're weak! Where'd you get that idea from?"

"Well..." he trailed off, "While you were in the portal, you probably dealt with worse conditions than this! I shouldn't be complaining if I'm a little tired because you had it worse..." he was silent for a moment, "And I... I had a nightmare you thought I wasn't strong enough to be your apprentice and you kicked me out and replaced me with a newer, cooler version of me," he looked down, refusing to meet Ford's eyes.

"Mason, look at me,"

Dipper glanced up. However, instead of the judgment he was expecting, his eyes were filled with sympathy and compassion.

"First of all, just because I had it worse doesn't mean your health doesn't matter!" Ford exclaimed, "If you're tired, we'll go home! And besides, all that portal stuff happened a long time ago!" Dipper was silent as he listened to Ford.

"Second of all, you have no idea how strong you are! How many other 13-year-olds do you think could fight a dragon for example?"

"Uh..."

"It was a rhetorical question," Ford chuckled, "Point is son, you're really strong! You should give yourself more credit, my boy! And I could never replace you! You're amazing just the way you are!"

Dipper let out a breath of relief and gave a small smile, "Thanks, Grunkle Ford!"

"Of course! Now, let's go home!"