Video Games

"twenty five, twenty six, twenty seven-" mumbled counting could be heard coming from the kitchen. Ford went to look around the corner to tease Stan about his tax invasion. To his surprise, it wasn't Stan but-

"Dipper?"

Dipper flinched and turned around, "Oh, hi Grunkle Ford!"

"Greetings, my boy. What are you doing?"

"Just counting my money. Was I at twenty five or twenty seven....?" He asked to himself, "I'll just start again. One, two, three-"

"Saving up for something?" Ford questioned. Dipper was a bit annoyed Ford interrupted his counting again, but nodded at his question.

"Yeah. There's this video game system I want, but it's really expensive. However, I worked out a solution. If I get money from birthdays and holidays, I should be able to buy it in-" Dipper looked at his money, "Hmm... well if I get that... but then I have to pay for... hmmm... and then plus... three years!" He concluded.

"Three years?" Ford exclaimed.

Dipper nodded, "Well, I'd like to get one for Mabel too so we can play online together. However, that adds to the price. Then games are also expensive...." he trailed off.

Ford chuckled, "Video games sure seem expensive nowadays."

Dipper shrugged, "Yeah!"

Dipper went back to counting. Ford noticed a scrap piece of paper near where Dipper was. It read:

• Nintendo Switch Lite (Grey) - $200 (Me)
• Nintendo Swith Lite (Coral) - $200 (Mabel)
• Animal Crossing New Horizons - $60 x 2 =
520
Plus tax - wait what's the tax in Gravity Falls??

Dipper was too busy counting to notice Ford put the note in his pocket.

*   *   *

"DISCO GIRL! COMING THROUGH! THAT GIRL IS-"

Click

"Mabel, it's seven the the morning on a Saturday! Go back to sleep-" Dipper whined.

"Dipper, the most amazing thing happened!"

Dipper groaned, "What? Someone asked you out?"

"No! Better! I got a switch!"

This got Dipper awake, "What? Did you buy it?"

"It came in the mail!" She exclaimed, "-And I have no idea who it's from! There's no return address! Oh! And whoever it was, they got me Animal Crossing too!"

"Woah!" Dipper smiled, "Mabel, that's awesome! But, I wonder who sent it."

"It's in the exact color I wanted too!"

"Wow!" Dipper exclaimed, "That's incredible! And... really weird!"

"I don't care if it's weird! I have plans for today! Big plans!" She exclaimed.

"Do nothing but play Animal Crossing?"

"Do nothing but play Animal Crossing!" She exclaimed, "Bye bro bro!" She hung up.

Dipper started to get dressed and headed downstairs. So, now if Mabel had the system and the game, it should take him only about one year to be able to save up to the $260 mark.

The Stans looked up at him from where they were drinking their coffee. "You're up early," Stan commented.

"Mabel called," he explained. "Apparently someone sent her a switch? But she has no idea who."

"Huh, odd," Ford commented. "There was a package for you in the mail too,"

Dipper cocked his head in surprise as Ford handed him the package. In it contained the game system and game. He examined the console, "Huh... in the exact color I wanted too..." he mumbled out.

"Was there a return address?"

Stan shook his head, "Nope. I didn't see one."

Dipper grabbed a note pad and a pencil. "Hmm... so Mabel and I both received a Nintendo Switch Lite and Animal Crossing: New Horizons. The consoles are in the corresponding colors. There's no return address. Who sent them?"

Ford and Stan watched as Dipper examined the box. "Ah ha!" He pulled out a plastic bag. "This bag is from the local grocery store, located only in Gravity  Falls. Which means, whoever bought us the games, lives in Gravity Falls!"

"Good observation, my boy!" Ford complimented.

"Is it alright if we go there later today?"

"Of course! I don't have anything planned."

*   *   *

"Did anyone buy two Switch Lites and two copies of Animal Crossing recently?" Dipper asked the only cashier.

The cashier stared at him blankly, "Uhh... yeah. Some guy came in here about a week ago. Very specific for the colors too."

"So, the person was masculine and picky about the colors?"

The cashier shrugged, "He asked for a gift receipt, but he left it here," she handed this to Dipper.

Dipper looked at the receipt. It listed the four items: two game consoles, two games. There was also a date. "It's from this Monday."

Dipper looked at the receipt for a few more minutes, "This person... knew Mabel and I wanted these colors and these games. This person... saw the list I made about the prices?" He suggested.

"It's a logical explanation," Ford replied.

"This suspect is someone who had to be close enough to me to see the list..." he trailed off, "Maybe it's someone in the Mystery Shack? Come on, Grunkle Ford! Let's go!"

Dipper was practically pushing Ford out of the store. Ford couldn't help but chuckle, "You got the console you wanted, and you're spending your time trying to figure out who bought it for you instead of playing it!"

"I have to!" He smiled, "I'm getting close to an answer! I can feel it!"

*   *   *

"Alright. On Sunday, when I was counting my money, I was writing down some notes for myself," Dipper explained, "I left it right... here!"

There was nothing on the table. "Hmmm.... maybe Grunkle Stan knows where it went?"

Ford followed Dipper to where Stan was watching TV, "Grunkle Stan, did you see a note that had a list of gaming stuff and prices?"

"Yeah," he rolled his eyes, "Found it when doing laundry. I don't know why Ford would need all that stuff?"

"Wait, Ford?"

Stan nodded, "It was in his pocket!"

Dipper looked at Ford, "Hmm... lives in Gravity Falls, knew we wanted the colors, saw the list... was it you?"

Ford took the folded up note out of his pocket, "Taxes in Gravity Falls are six cents by the way."

Dipper beamed, "Wow! I don't know what to say. Thank you!" He exclaimed, hugging Ford.

Ford hugged back, "Of course, my boy. Anything for you!"