Ill

Madieiguess suggested this idea, which is one I've had on my list for awhile now! Anyway, here it is!

An eerie silence sounded throughout the Mystery Shack. On most days Stan, Soos, and Wendy would be working while Ford and himself went on their expeditions. Even when the Mystery Shack was closed, it was seldom this quiet.

Dipper knew Stan and Soos were out of town, hence why the building was closed and why Wendy didn't come into work. But, where was Ford?

"Grunkle Ford?" Dipper called, scanning the building for any sign of his great uncle. But, nobody answered his call.

"Grunkle Ford, you in here?" Dipper questioned, knocking on the door to his room. No response.

Dipper was about to see if Ford was in the lab when, "....yeah! Give me a-" the hoarse voice was caught off by harsh coughing, "Give me a moment!"

About five minutes later, Ford opened the door, "Sorry, my boy. I must've over slept," he explained. However, Dipper could barley make out what he said.

"Uhhh... are you feeling okay?"

"Fine," Ford replied. Dipper gave him an odd look.

"Well, maybe-" Ford's breath hitched. A sneeze interrupted whatever he was trying to say.

"Bless you,"

Ford nodded, "Thank you. As I was saying, maybe not 100%... but I'm not gonna let a little cold stop me!"

"I don't know, Grunkle Ford. You shouldn't be working when you're sick,"

"I'm fine!"

"You just said you weren't feeling 100%," Dipper countered.

Ford opened his mouth to protest, but closed it when he realized he couldn't argue his way out of this one. Besides, he knew Dipper was right. If the roles were reversed, he'd definitely make Dipper rest.

"I suppose you're right..." he sighed.

"How about you rest, and we'll do whatever you had planned for today as soon as you're feeling better?" Dipper suggested, guiding Ford back to bed.

"Tomorrow?"

"As soon as you're feeling better," Dipper repeated. "Is there anything you need? Might as well get you some water or something while I'm here," he offered.

Ford thought for a moment, "Now that you mention it, water does sound nice-" a coughing fit cut him off.

"I'll get you some cough drops too," Dipper commented, leaving the room. He returned shortly with the items.

"Thank you, my boy," Ford replied, taking a sip of the water.

"Of course. If you need anything, just let me know,"

*   *   *

Dipper was reading in the living room when an odd creaking noise caused him to perk up. This was followed by mechanical whirls of the hidden elevator shaft used to get down to the lab.

Realization clicked almost instantly. Ford must've went down to the lab to work. Was the man already feeling better?

Sighing, Dipper headed down to the lab to see what was going on. Dipper wasn't surprised to see Ford hunched over at his desk, picking up his pencil every few minutes to jot something down. He didn't look any better than earlier.

"Grunkle Ford?"

Ford shot up, and turned around to face Dipper, "Dipper I-"

"Grunkle Ford, you're supposed to be resting!" Dipper exclaimed. He took Ford's hand and dragged him back upstairs, in the same way a child might drag their parents.

"I couldn't sleep," Ford explained.

"You still shouldn't be working," Dipper protested. "I know you struggle with sleep sometimes, but you still have to rest when you're sick!"

Ford, too exhausted to argue, just nodded tiredly. Dipper helped the elder back to bed.

"Anything else you need?"

"No, I..." Ford trailed off, "What's that?"

Dipper followed Ford's gaze. "Oh! Just a book I was reading," he answered. He didn't realize he was still holding onto it.

Ford hummed, "What's it about?"

"Oh, it's about this kid who has really bad luck due to a family curse and gets accused of committing a crime he didn't commit," Dipper explained.

"Sounds interesting,"

"Yeah, I like it so far," Dipper smiled. An idea began to form, "Uhh, I could read it to you if you'd like,"

Ford smiled tiredly, "I'd like that,"

Dipper turned to the first chapter and began to read, "There is no lake at Camp Green Lake. There once was a very large lake, the largest here in Texas. That was over a hundred years ago. Now it is just a dry, flat-"

Dipper glanced up to see if Ford was listening. He gave a smile at the sight. Ford had finally fallen asleep.

"Sleep well, Grunkle Ford," he murmured as he left the room, quietly closing the door behind him.

A/n: Dipper is reading the book "Holes," by Louis Sachar