Girlz Crazy

Requested by Fanfiction1090 Enjoy!

Ford knew the signs of a crush. Sweaty palms, butterflies in the stomach, blushing. He couldn't say he'd ever experienced them himself. If he'd ever been in love before, he would have remembered. Though he knew the way Stanley, and most people, acted when they had a crush.

So, when Dipper started rubbing his hands on his jeans more often, blushing a bit more, and being in a daze frequently, Ford could only assume the boy had a crush on someone.

This assumption quickly became fact. Although Ford had never confronted Dipper about it, and he didn't plan to, there were signs of his nephew's crush in their journal. Little doodles of different types of candies and a name he couldn't make out (Andy? Canda?) were written in the margins of some of Dipper's journal entries.

Ford didn't mind too much. He knew the boy was prone to romantic distraction, as stated in his last journal. It wasn't getting in the way of his apprenticeship, so there was no reason to address it.

That was until, Dipper brought it up himself.

It was mid-afternoon when Ford received a knock on his door. Ford signed, "Stanley, for the last time, I didn't take your sweather!"

"It's, uh, it's just me Grunkle Ford," the voice replied. Brown eyes peered through the door creak.

Ford smiled, "Sorry, my boy. Did you need something?" He turned around to give his full attention to Dipper.

"Well, yeah actually. I, um, needed your advice about something-"

"Alright,"

"Well, you see, there's this girl I really like and-"

"I'm gonna stop you right there Dipper," Ford began, "If that's the type of advice you need, I'd say go ask Stanley. Or text Mabel. Anyone other than me would work," he laughed.

"Why's that? I mean, you're pretty smart Grunkle Ford! I thought if anyone could help me, It'd be you..." Dipper admitted.

"I don't have the best experience with romance," Ford explained.

"Oh... because of..." Dipper trailed off. Ford noticed how the boy pulled down his hat down just a bit, to make sure his birthmark wasn't showing.

Ford stood up from where he was sitting, "No, no," he waved his hands, "Not because of my extra digits! And if this girl makes you feel like you have to hide your birthmark in front of her, then even without experience I can tell you, she's not worth it!"

"What? No, she doesn't she- it's just... complicated," he sighed out. "So, if not because your polydactyly, then... why don't you have the best experience in romance?" Dipper questioned, curious as ever. "I mean, if you want to tell me! If it's a sensitive topic, I understand!" He exclaimed.

"It's alright, my boy. It's not a bad experience really, just lack thereof."

"You've... never experienced romance? Like never had a crush? Or dated anyone?" Dipper questioned.

Ford smiled, "That's not necessarily true. I did date a few people during high school and college, but I never got what all the hype was about. Honestly, I still don't get what the hype is about. I stopped dating after college." Ford stopped. His tone became a bit sadder, "Dipper, for a long time I thought something was wrong with me. I mean, first I have six fingers, and then I have no interest in romance?"

"Oh, I'm sorry Grunkle Ford. I didn't mean to pry-"

"Now, now, I'm not done talking. Let me continue," Ford interrupted. Dipper nodded.

"After college, I came to the conclusion I didn't need a significant other to be happy. And, y'know what? I was right. A lot of people see success as a secure job, getting married, raising kids. The normal stuff. But, success looks different for everyone, and success doesn't necessarily equal happiness."

Ford smiled softly, "Besides, I have something much better than a love interest. I have a brother who would give up the world for his family, a niece who does everything in her power to make others smile. Then, I have an extremely intelligent apprentice and an incredibly kind nephew."

Dipper beamed at the compliment, "Thanks, Grunkle Ford!"

Ford smiled back, "Even if I can't give you dating advice, I will tell you this: whatever you do, my boy, do what makes you happy."