The Hero We Neglected

The sound of a pencil scribbling on flash cards filled the other wise silent morning atmosphere. "No... that's not... hm..." Stan mumbled to himself.

Soon enough, footsteps could be be heard coming down the stairs. "Morning Grunkle Stan. What are you doing?"

Stanley gave Dipper a tired smile, "I have to write a speech," he chuckled. "I mean of all people writing a speech: me?"

"What's the speech for?"

"That award ceremony the mayor wants to have."

Dipper was silent, "What award ceremony?"

"Sixer didn't tell you?"

Dipper shook his head. Just then, Ford walked into the kitchen. "I thought you were going to tell him!" Ford exclaimed, catching onto the last part of the conversation.

"Well, okay, since apparently neither of us told you, the mayor is holding some dumb award ceremony to honor..." Stan trailed off and looked at his note cards. A soft smile formed on his face. A proud smile. A smile Dipper rarely saw on Stan.

"To honor someone," he finished, still smiling. "Anyways, he wanted me to write a small speech, being town hero and all."

"Someone-?"

Before Dipper could question more, Stan spoke up, "It's a surprise. I mean, only the mayor and I know who the recipient of this award is. So, I am required by law not to tell you- or anyone - who's receiving it."

"Alright! I'll let you work on your speech then. Don't forget to take breaks though! Burnout is the worst!" Dipper exclaimed as he searched through the kitchen's refrigerator and poured himself a glass of orange juice.

"Don't worry, kid. I have until five 'o clock tonight! Plenty of time!" Stan exclaimed. Dipper nearly choked on his drink.

"Five? Tonight? As in tonight tonight?" Dipper questioned. Stan nodded.

"Uhhh... yes? Seriously, Poindexter, you were supposed to tell him!" Stan claimed.

Ford sighed, "Although I'm pretty sure we agreed you would tell him, I admit I may've became distracted with our apprenticeship," he admitted.

Dipper seemed confused, "It's not like Grunkle Ford to forget about an event. Is there something I don't know?"

"Nope/It's nothing!" The Stans exclaimed. Dipper shrugged.

"Alright! Well, still, you're the town hero, Grunkle Stan. You could probably just say 'This award belongs to:' and people would be moved by it." Dipper smiled.

Stan chuckled, "That's a nice thought kid. But, I want this speech to have feeling." Stan looked at the note cards again. "This person, the recipient, they..." Stan trailed off and that same, proud smile appeared, "They mean a lot to me. I want to show them that!"

Dipper smiled, "Alright then! But, whatever you say, I'm sure it'll be amazing!"

"Thanks kid!"

*   *   *

Ford and Dipper, who arrived a bit early, sat in the auditorium. Ford noticed Dipper was fidgeting.

"Dipper? Something bothering you, my boy?"

"Huh? Oh! Sorry," Dipper exclaimed. "I just get kinda restless when sitting in one spot for too long. Ceremonies like this tend to do that to me." Dipper chuckled awkwardly and took a deep breath, "But, we're here to support Grunkle Stan! And whoever earned this award of course, but, honestly, if Grunkle Stan wasn't the speaker I would've asked if I could stay home."

"We would've said no,"

"Figured," Dipper sighed. "I just hope we're not here for too long! How many awards are being given out?"

"Only one,"

"One?" Dipper questioned, "Seems like kind of a lot for one award. But, I will admit, Grunkle Stan was about to tear up this morning when writing the speech. Whoever this is... I hope they're as amazing as Grunkle Stan makes them seem."

"I'm sure he is- I mean they are!" Ford commented, quickly realizing his mistake.

"Wh-what?"

"Oh, look, there's Stanley! Ceremony is starting!" Ford exclaimed, as the previously buzzing auditorium quieted down. Dipper shrugged and looked towards the podium, where Stan was standing.

"Greetings citizens of Gravity Falls," Stan started. "Most of you know me, and for those of you who don't, my name is Stanley Pines and I'm the "town hero." But, this ceremony isn't to honor me." Stan took a deep breath in. The main part of his speech was starting.

"Although I may be considered the hero of this town for my sacrifice during "Never Mind All That," we all know there isn't just one person who helped during those trying times. People like Mr. Soos Ramirez, who spent those days helping anyone he could. People like Mr. Fiddleford Mcgucket, who designed and built the shackatron-

I could go on and on about how many people helped us pick up the pieces when this town was in shambles. However, this award honors one person in particular, so I will cut to the chase. This person has probably saved your sorry butt at least once from something supernatural. He's solved mysteries, hunted ghosts, and stood up against forces of evil, weather it be from another dimension or the evil of human nature.

I'd like to address some specific things this person has done, which has made me truly proud. When Mr. Gideon Gleeful built his robot and kidnapped my niece, it was this person who saved her. This person jumped off a cliff, right into the eye of the robot to save her."

Dipper's eyes widened. He was the one who jumped off that cliff to save his sister. 'This is a joke... right?' Dipper started to wonder.

"To add on, during the "unpleasantnes," this person was sadly all alone for a few days. During those days, he managed to team up with Wendy Corduroy and ended up jumping a ravine to get to my great niece. Wendy Corduroy, please never drive a car with my nephew, I- I mean this person, in it again!"

"I won't!" A voice, which was presumably Wendy, yelled, earning a few chuckles from other audience members.

Dipper was stunned. He was the recipient of this award. Grunkle Stan wouldn't have made such a slip up if he wasn't... right?

"This person has done so much for the town. Both through heroic actions and his own sacrifices. I'm afraid we're all, myself included, guilty of neglecting this person's actions. However, he is a hero nonetheless, and deserves that recognition. If you haven't guessed by now, this "Neglected Hero," so to speak, is my great nephew: Dipper Pines. Dipper, come here please."

The pure shock caused his legs to wobble ever so slightly as he made his way to the front podium. He was honored, and incredibly surprised.

"Dipper, as I said at the start of my speech, I may be the "town-hero," but, well, thank you for being our hero, Dipper." Stand gently placed a golden medal around Dipper's chest. The front had an emblem of a pine tree, while the back read 'Dipper Pines - Hero'

Dipper smiled. He couldn't form words, but Stan knew how he felt by the boy's tight hug.

A/n: Say it with me now: Dipper 👏 Pines 👏 deserves 👏 more 👏 recognition 👏 Dipper did so much for so many people during the series. Yet both fandom and canon seem to ignore him and tend to favor Mabel and/or Stan. Even the journal itself makes it seem like Stan is the only hero when that's not true at all! I just wanted to give Dipper the recognition he deserves! If I could, I'd give this boy the world.