Heartache

"-per? -ipper? Dipper? Are you okay?" A voice faded in. Dipper turned around from where he sat in his room, staring out the window.

"Oh. Hey Grunkle Ford," Dipper replied, a bit dejected.

"What's wrong?"

Dipper laughed, "Wrong? Nothing's wrong! Why would anything be wrong?"

Ford raised a brow, "I don't know, because you're staring out the window, sadly. It's alright if you don't want to talk about it, my boy, but I'm all ears if you allow me to listen."

Dipper sighed, "It's just Candy."

"The girl you liked?"

"I asked her out," Dipper smiled. He paused, "She didn't feel the same way."

"Oh..."

"Which isn't her fault!" Dipper quickly added, "I understand she doesn't want to be in a relationship and that's okay with me. I'm not mad at her or anything. I can't control her feelings. I just... still like her."

"I see,"

Dipper looked up at him, "I know you don't really know what to say or anything. I just thought we'd be a nice couple. It'd also be nice to have a date for tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?" Ford then remembered, "Oh. Valentine's Day,"

Dipper nodded, "I mean, I know it's just a commercial holiday so stores can sell stuff, but-" he shook his head. "Ah nevermind. I'm sure I'll get over her. I got over Wendy right?" He chuckled again. Yet, he went back to staring out the window.

Ford frowned and walked away. He didn't like seeing his nephew so upset, but there was really nothing he could do. This girl, Candy, her own feelings were beyond anyone's control and it'd be immoral to manipulate someone else's feelings. Ford glanced around the room before spotting his phone. Maybe he could help Dipper feel better, with some assistance.

He dialed the number, "Hello. It's good to hear from you again," he smiled warmly, "Listen, I need some advice-"

*   *   *

Knock knock knock

"Come in..." Dipper sighed out. He didn't see who entered, just heard the door squeak open.

"Hey Dipper,"

"Hey Ma-" Dipper froze and turned around. At the door was Ford and-

"Mabel?" He ran up to her, "What are you doing here?"

She smiled, "Grunkle Ford drove me here!"

"Grunkle Ford drove you here?" Dipper was confused and shocked, but also happy. "Wait... what's going on?"

"Grunkle Ford called me last night and explained what happened with Candy," Mabel started. Dipper's smile dropped at this, "So, he drove me out here so I can make you feel better! Cuz my baby brother experienced his first heartbreak,"

Dipper rolled his eyes, "I'm younger than you by five minutes, Mabel!" He chuckled, "I can't believe mom and dad agreed to this!"

Mabel and Ford looked at each other. Mabel giggled nervously.

"What did you two do to mom and dad?"

"Nothing they'll remember," Mabel explained. Dipper realized either Ford or Mabel planned to use the memory gun on their parents so neither of them knew Mabel wasn't home. Surprisingly, he didn't say anything against this.

"Oh!" Mabel handed Dipper a basket full of candy, different snacks, and valentine's. "Grunkle Ford and I got this on the way here!"

Dipper looked at the item before looking back up at the two, "Really?"

"Yeah! And we're gonna go see that movie you've been wanting to see!" Mabel explained.

"You guys didn't have to do this," Dipper stated. He looked at Ford, "You didn't have to drive Mabel all the way out here, and-" he directed his attention "You didn't have to come all the way out here. I know you've got friends in Piedmont who'd like to spend the holiday with you."

"Nonsense," Ford replied, "It was really the least I could do. I just didn't like seeing you so down. I may not have experience with romance, my boy, but Mabel does."

"Dipper," she whined, but it was more of a laugh, "You'd go to the ends of the Earth for us. I wanted to do the same for you! Besides, I missed you guys!"

Dipper smiled, "You say that everytime we show up!"

"I do," she chuckled, "Because I miss you guys!" She hugged Dipper, "It's good to see you bro bro,"

Dipper hugged back "You too, Mabel,"

"Pat, pat,"

"Hey, when does that movie start anyway?" Dipper wondered.

"Around 12:00," Mabel replied, "Which is in 20 minutes," she realized. This led to Ford, Mabel, and Dipper rushing out the door to make it to the movie on time. However, even if they didn't make it on time to the movie, that was okay. Dipper didn't need a significant other to be happy. He already had something better; his family.