Chapter 21

Leiea, even hiding behind stacks of crates and barrels, can hear Sheyric returning with the horses in tow. Wherever he put them to graze must have been far away. The stomping of hooves and whining reminds her of the day he was attacked by the horses, making her reflexively rub her elbow.

People outside start becoming louder and more demanding almost, combined with the unmistakable sound of Sheyric shooing them away. Judging by that, it's easy to tell they won't get a break from rowdy customers until they get out of city limits. She rips off thin pieces from her shirt and stuffs them in her ears to block out the noise.

Soon, the caravan begins moving with a lurch, and begins creeping its way through the maze of the marketplace. The noises of people outside and the horses reacting to them are loud and clear, making Leiea want to shrink down and hide even further.

She can't help but think back to that old woman. Mysterious, probably some wise and ancient figure she doesn't know about. Maybe she's known around Galerus, as a witch of sorts. It reminds her of the storytellers back home, scaring children and spreading strange stories. It's not like all that about the village being in danger was just a story, though. Her urgency, the frightened tone, shaking Leiea's shoulders to get her attention, and she certainly did. How could Leiea ignore any signal or warning from someone at this point? She can't afford it.

After a long time, the temperature drops and the sun sets. Leiea didn't move except for scooting the other way to be in the light for warmth. A few times on the road, the wheels of the caravan would get caught up in a crack in the ground or a rock, scaring the horses and making their progress painfully slow and anxiety-inducing.

She hears the door creak open and Sheyric's light footsteps coming to her usual hiding spot. Through a curtain of her red hair, she sees him kneel down in front of her, holding something large.

"I hope you realize we're still a month away from home," he says, making Leiea recoil. She had not thought of that. The trip won't be much faster than it was to get to Galerus.

He continues. "I know, I'm sorry, I just want you to know. Here." He sets something on her knees. She looks up to find a polished wooden box the size of her hand. She opens it while he watches.

She knows what it is without explanation. What she calls a Soundbox, not sure if there's a real name for it. Sometimes people at school would bring theirs to share, Leiea gratefully borrowing it, playing with it all day, and entertaining Fleya. A little box with a small latch, inside is a dozen small squares of different materials. Glass, ceramic, animal hoof, and all types of metals and minerals. All of the materials produce different sounds when touched by a tiny metal rod chained inside.

Some people, when practicing and experimenting enough, can make beautiful songs with it, all by hand. She remembers once a few years ago, a shy boy in class playing something on one, and a musical girl named Kosia started singing to it, making up lyrics and amazing everyone. Sometimes storytellers would play little tunes with their poems, adding a mystical sense with the fantastical lines and crackling of a bonfire.

Sheyric smiles at Leiea's reaction while she feels all the materials inside with her thumb. He stands up and stretches his arms. "I'll be tending to the horses. I'm guessing you want to leave as early as possible tomorrow?"

She nods and taps the glass into the Soundbox with her nail, making a loud and clear chime. Sheyric nods back, takes an extra sweater from a table in reach and pulls it on while walking out. The door shuts quietly behind him.

Leiea's mind goes back to home, some of the memories connected to music from these little boxes. If someone at school had a birthday, these were common gifts, although expensive for the size and materials. Naturally, she or Fleya had never gotten one as a part of the family's thing with no presents. Still, she found it strange that mother didn't have an old one, since she's resided there all her life.

It made Leiea little jealous of people that had them, but they were obviously much more musically talented, more inclined to have one. Really, all she had to do was remember her minimal skill and the jealousy would dissipate, or borrow one to stay satisfied. But now she does have one- one of Sheyric's, at least- and can experiment freely.

She stuffs it in her pack next to her and leans on the crates more comfortably to fall asleep.