Chapter 39

Leiea let Sheyric ride off, making herself power walk into the fields.

The adrenaline of the conflict stopped her head and back from hurting with each step, but it left the ringing in her ears even more evident. Still, she won't stop walking until she finds someone, and hopefully not an animal until she gets some sort of weapon. Looking up at the clouded sky, it looks much darker, probably closer to or past dusk already.

She grows closer and closer to the forest, sparking that anxiety again, when she sees a flicker of movement in the corner of her eye. To her right, she sees the distant forms of multiple people, crowded around. She doesn't hesitate to shoot off running that way, ignoring the pain coming back fully.

Leiea closer reaches the group, stumbling over her feet and more out of breath than she's been in months. Glancing up, she sees Hania-without Craith-, Vaeic, and Therin, but they haven't seen her.

"Hania," she's barely able to croak her name out before doubling over, feeling blood from her back flow out of the bandages and into her pants. She hears faint footsteps jogging up her, and a warm hand sets on her shoulder. Leiea glances up to find Hania kneeling in front of her, a new thin cut on her cheek stark against her pale skin.

"What happened to you?" She whispers.

Leiea shakes her head, still trying to slow her heart rate and stop the throbbing everywhere in her body. Vaeic snorts and she hears stomping coming towards her. She tried to straighten up but the jerky motion makes it worse.

Vaeic's icy hands lift the hem of Leiea's shirt and touches the bandages. "Who wrapped this up for you?" She asks. The nurse's voice is more tired than usual and bitter.

"Ranulf did while I was out."

"Makes sense." Her voice distinctly sounds like she's gritting her teeth. "It's thicker in the front than where you actually need it."

Without warning, Vaeic grips the bloodied edges of the bandages and tugs it to the side, grazing the injury. She keeps spinning it around her back despite Leiea's rapid breathing and swaying. Hania lurches forwards and grabs her arm.

"That's the best it's gonna be for a while," Vaeic says. "Keep spinning it around as it bleeds through or tell me to do it if you'd rather pass out and rip open the scabs indefinitely. Not to mention that thing," she pokes the open cut on her head in the perfect spot. Leiea yelps and nearly collapses.

Vaeic chortles. "Hey Therin, do you want to touch her blood-saturated hair before I have to wrap up her upper body later and give Ranulf nothing less than hell for being such a disgraceful person to the world of medicine?"

Leiea looks over her shoulder for a moment to see Therin, his expression practically glowing, walking up to her. His arms are covered in all kinds of dried, brownish colors, as if the creatures he brought on had bright colored blood like the Ildful. She snaps her head back forward and gives Hania her best look of pleading possible.

When she doesn't feel anything, Leiea looks around again. Behind her, Vaeic stands next to Therin, holding his arm up by the elbow to stop him, both of them looking intending into the distance. Her eyes flicker to Leiea's stare.

"Something going on over there," She says, letting go of Therin. On cue, a strange bird-like howl pierces the air. Everyone but Leiea begins moving and gathering supplies at lightning speed. Hania faces ahead and nocks an arrow but doesn't move.

"Hania," Leiea calls. She flips her head around.

"I didn't ask before, but where's Craith?"