Chapter 9

Another few weeks go by in a flash. Getting up early, learning everything, and spending time with Sheyric, dodging Ryn. Sometimes, Leiea would take a day to teach Fleya some skills she'll need to utilize, even more so because the day they leave for the trade route is fast approaching. However, it's not a set date, and it's all up to Sheyric, making her more than a little stressed. Those uneasy feelings about leaving the village still hang over her.

"Leiea," Fleya's face is there, nudging her awake. It feels far earlier than when either of them wake up, and it's surprisingly dark, inside and outside. "Sheyric's at the door. He wants you."

Leiea grunts out of confusion and struggles out of bed. Fleya's all dressed and she's holding a pile of clothes and a pair of boots. "Just put this on and listen to him." She complies, pulling the boots on, and inspecting the shirt. It looks brand new, and the off white color is pristine. The kind used for special occasions. Leiea looks up, a little solemn.

The day has come to leave for the rest of Kiira.

"Leiea! Listen! It's not too soon!" Sheyric's almost yelling, holding her shoulders steady.

Why is this so hard for me? I've been preparing. I've learned all I need to. I've accepted leaving for what's to come. Whatever will come, anyway. She buries her face into her hands and tries to hold back tears of panic and fear. The tears of rough goodbyes will come later.

"We went through the lessons really quickly. Don't think about what you're leaving here, think about what we're leaving to. All those cities! The experience!"

Leiea meets his eyes, barely making out features. Unable to contemplate anything. But it's not like she's going to back down, disappoint everyone. She worked hard for this moment, it just came too fast.

Fleya walks into the room, holding a pack full of clothes and her other belongings. In her other hand, the emerald that was left on her nightstand. She puts it around her neck, a little shaky. Her hazel eyes register sadness, but also... pride? Pride for her big sister.

Sheyric grabs the pack and helps Leiea up from her seat. "Everything's ready to go. Water, food, the horses are hooked up. The stall's all put away too, of course." Fleya pipes up, "I'll wake Mother. She would never miss this." She runs off into her room, knocking a little on the wall.

Leiea stretches her hands before opening the door outside. It's a little lighter now, and more people are out. She rubs the emerald around her neck and tries to slow her breathing, control her emotions and expression before Mother comes out. Soon, Sheyric walks out. "They're coming. Let's go." He flips the pack over his shoulder with a small smile and moves on over the corner of the house. When she realizes Fleya and Mother aren't coming anytime soon, she follows slowly. Inspecting the village as it goes by. Her last walk around it for almost a year. She vows to herself not to forget what it's like right at this moment in time, no matter how maybe other memories or events crowd her mind in time. Which she knows will be a lot.

Sheyric goes the way by Ryn's house, and she doesn't mind. Even if he's there, it'll be a long time. But he's not there, and the house looks completely locked up and dark.

The area in the market where the stall was is cleaned up and empty now, the caravan pulled out into the back fields. The huge horses are waiting patiently. They definitely would be able to drag the weight, with minimal breaks. Stops won't matter, though, since the travel's only time restriction is getting near the coast by mid-winter. Sheyric throws the pack into the car and hoists himself up to sit on it's floor. It's surprising to Leiea how high up the door is without a giant tent in front of it. She makes her way to it and stands in place, ridged, and looks out to the village.

Mother and Fleya are making their way down a different path, the longer one that comes out at a different side of the market. "Okay, come on." Sheyric says, and guides them to the front of the caravan. A big metal seat was attached. She figures that where they would both be sitting. Sheyric walks up it and sits on the left to drive the horses.

Before she can step foot on it, Fleya runs up behind her and latches onto her waist in a big hug. She turns around and swings her up, eyes already teary. "I'll miss you so much." Fleya nods and buries her head into Leiea's shoulder.

Mother comes up in front of them, her expression worried. All three of them hug for a while, not letting go until Mother is crying too hard and has to distance herself.

Leiea jumps up the metal seating and sits down on the side next to Sheyric, who looks more pained after watching her family. Quietly he speaks up, "Are you ready?" Leiea nods and waves goodbye for a minute until the collar of her shirt isn't enough to contain her tears. She goes into the car to grab another shirt from her pack to bury her face in that isn't soaked.

She watches through the tiny window as Mother and Fleya walk away without her.