Chapter 41

"Is that really your idea of a lantern?"

Behind Leiea, Firyah scowls. Almost an hour ago, he'd picked up a branch from the ground and had Soteseg set fire to it. The darkness in the forest is too impenetrable for a stick burnt down to ash and embers. She'd already run into two trees.

She doesn't even know where the emerald could be. Wherever she exited the forest last time is where it be, set into a knot in the tree. She clenches her fist and dodges a large bush.

"I don't know where it is," Leiea finally says. Firyah raises an eyebrow, appearing more panicked than before.

"You said you did."

"I know it's in here, and I know where it last was, but I have no way of knowing what part of the forest it is in."

The king pauses for a moment. "It would've been much more ideal if you just told me that an hour ago. Describe the area."

"I put it in the knot of a large tree near the outskirts of the forest. That's all I know."

He nods sharply once and Soteseg caws. The bird then jumps off his shoulder and glides through the trees on their right. In the pitch black, his feathers appear to be glowing.

"Now we wait." Firyah says. He leans back on a tree and stares at Leiea. She's been refused to acknowledge it, but the wounds on her head have been making her vision worse. The overall pain coupled with the constant adrenaline rush all day left her skin tingling and her heart rate dangerously high. Her attempt to stand still to wait is met with trembling in her legs.

Not long later, the rumbling call of Soteseg echoes through the trees, and Firyah grins. "Let's see if he got it the first time."

The king waves his hand and the air waves again, before plunging into darkness. Leiea grunts and falls down again, the breath knocked out of her. Over her stands Firyah with Soteseg on his shoulder.

He shakes his head. "I've done that twice today and you still can't stand up after," He straightens his back and walks around her, flipping his flowing cape into her face. She doesn't bother standing up completely, but props up on her elbows.

Firyah stands in front of a knotted tree and puts his hands on his hips. "So ceremonial," he says, "to put something you hate so much on display. I'm not complaining, though, it's just easier for me."

He reaches forward and dislodges the emerald from the tree, producing a sharp cracking sound. He curses and snorts, looking down at the jewel in his hand.

"So much for perfect," The king turns around and throws it at Leiea, and it lands on her stomach. She picks it up. The edges of the emerald are now full of hairline cracks, and she suddenly feels proud that she secured the thing so well.

"You deserve it." She scowls, and throws the emerald back to him. He catches it with both hands and shrugs.

"It's something, and that's all that matters. Alright, come on. I bet you'll enjoy watching the process." He flashes a nasty smile and waves his hand again. This time, Leiea is expecting it, closes her eyes firmly and plants her feet in the ground.

A few seconds pass before Firyah talks. "Good, you got the hang of it." Soteseg on his arm makes a rough crow-like noise.

She opens her eyes to find them standing in the same spot before they went into the forest. The sky is now cloud-free and lighter than before, with the bright moon and nearing dawn. Looking all around, she sees a large figure moving on the horizon where the encampment ruins would be. Without sparring Firyah a glance, she sets off running.