Chapter 33

"I hope you realize how stupid that was for us."

Leiea frowns at Sheyric and stays focused on Vaeic. They've been standing in the medical tent for a while, watching her help Therin and Ailpein. The two of them are almost completely covered in cloth wrappings to protect the burns and scratches. Leiea's sure that Vaeic only did that to annoy Sheyric because he never got such treatment the first time.

She takes a deep breath. "It's your own weakness to love luxury so much." She states, "l grew up wasting nothing and I didn't want to throw the emerald out, no matter how bad it is. You're pampered to the degree of being delusional."

He laughs in a defensive way indicative of an impatient parent. "Do you think choosing to travel Kiira without guidance was pampered? If I didn't, you wouldn't have a career or any standing for yourself-"

"If you didn't, we all would've been safe and alive!" Leiea shouts back. She pauses before adding, "I'm actually humble. And realistic, unlike you."

Sheyric begins rubbing his eyes when Vaeic clenches her fist and her head shoots up. "Girls, calm down for Dorin's sake." Sheyric throws up his hands and walks the other way. Therin, almost incoherent, mumbles something about the ocean.

"Yes, that's the ocean," She says, rolling her eyes. "It's like dealing with the patients from that school lice infection." Leiea wrinkles her nose at the memory of that year. "I don't need any more toddlers in my sight." Vaeic snaps, looking at Sheyric first. He groans and trudges to the entrance of the tent.

He pauses before exiting and turns to Leiea. "You should know what might come of this. You've seen it happen. It has to do with those birds, and even though we killed that group doesn't mean they're all gone."

She shuffles but otherwise doesn't react, knowing that agreeing will just make him feel more important. She hears fabric fluttering, accompanied with his footfalls. Vaeic shakes her head and throws extra cloth over her shoulder, finished with helping Therin.

"You two are so helpless around each other," she says with a faint grin. "I have no idea how you managed to work together for months, alone."

Leiea tries not to show her agitation. "I don't know either. But too many things went wrong too quickly. That's why we're here, in a camp of 30 people from a village of 300."

Greif flashes in Vaeic's eyes. She turns around to inspect Ailpein, who's been sleeping. The canvas flap of the tent suddenly whips around by wind, and Leiea finds Ryn standing behind it. He frowns a bit. "It's windy and everything out there is pretty washed out. It's-"

"The first winter storm," Leiea interrupts, feeling her stomach drop. "Vaeic, since you have extra things, do you have any blankets or something to hand out? I don't think the people here are equipped to withstand a storm right now,"

Vaeic's hands shoot up and she gives a condescending laugh. "Of course, ask the lady nurse for things! She has it!" She rolls are eyes as Ryn steps closer beside Leiea. "Why don't you ask your girlfriend?"

Leiea lets her mouth hang open before talking. "That... could be referring to many people." She gives a shaky laugh. "You could be taking a literal meaning, referring to Hania because we like each other and she's a girl. Or, you just called Sheyric girl, so it could be that. Or Ryn, because he's right here and he's not the most manly-"

Ryn's eyes widen and he stops her with a smack to the shoulder. He composes himself in front of Vaeic, who is laughing hysterically. "I thought you were sturdy enough to not get loopy with little sleep, but I think you've finally gotten there. Come on." He turns her around and out the tent. She glares at the still-giggling Vaeic behind them.

Leiea shivers in a cold gust. The outside looks both dark and bright white at the same time, and the sun rays coming through the clouds are blinding. She also notices the complete lack of people outside, making her glad they know what's coming. Ryn hurries them along the path to his tent.

Leiea's finally stopped shivering and nearly to the tent when Ryn stops and turns to her.

"You've probably thought of this, but I don't think I can handle going out there again," he sighs. "I hate surprises, and the murderous fire birds don't help. I know Therin and Ailpein weren't thinking when they attacked, but that can just happen to more of us. I'm not saying I'm dropping out from all of it, just the adventure aspect. Okay?"

Leiea sighs as well, but it was expected. Plus, she wouldn't want to go back either, if it wasn't for Sheyric desperately needing her help and support. She nods. "It's fine. We can manage without a few people."

He smiles and keeps walking to the tent, turning the corner. She stays behind. It only seems right to tell Ryn the situation about the emerald after telling Sheyric, but it would be too hard when he doesn't know any of the other history with it. She know's she'll regret it, but decided not to tell anyone else.