Chapter 17

"Get up, Leiea."

She groans and rolls over in bed. But she knows what's happening today, and there's nothing she can do to interfere.

The previous night, they had been discussing leaving Karyk. The stay had already gone for two weeks, and they're getting too comfortable. Plus, with Plei already paid and quite a bit of business done, it's as good a time as ever. She sits up and stares at her bag, which is still laying on the floor emptied out. Sheyric's already packing his more plentiful belongings quickly.

"I don't want to leave. It's nice here, even with all the sun." she retorts.

"And that's why we're leaving. Think about it this way. The trip to Galerus-"

"Exactly," she cuts him off and picks up her pack. "That's what I don't want. An even longer trip to another place I don't know." she doesn't say it, but the main concern is more injuries one way or another. Sure, her elbow's fine now, but his cut is only starting to close up. If he does... anything, really, it will open right back up and start an endless cycle of pain.

He doesn't respond or continue what he was saying. They both know they have to go anyway.

Leiea finishes packing her single bag first, taking care of storing the beautiful goods she had bought here. The drikzun models they had made together dried nicely and are packed away safely in the caravan. They didn't bother painting or sealing them to match the rough effect of all the authentic pottery made by the Karykian' delicate hands.

They walk out of the room with their packs to find Plei sitting at the table, petting Fepko with a nervous expression. She looks up when they walk in. "Finally. You must go now. Here," She walks back to the tiny kitchen and retrieves a wrapped package from the counter. "Some food for the next day or so."

Sheyric takes it first and opens it carefully. Inside the wrappings, a thin stack of grainy and dense pancakes they're had multiple times here for a snack. Even such a small amount of the hearty cake will keep them going for a whole day, maybe two. On top of those, she had already given them literal barrels of water and a variety of simple Karykian food. Leiea figured they must be a sort of deal between the two every year by the way he seemed to brush off any happiness or emotion about receiving it.

"Thank you," he says, "These will be lovely."

She nods and hurries them along to the door like she can't stand them lingering around in her motel, but there's a sadness in her eyes. "Goodbye. Next year?" She asks.

He smiles "Of course. Goodbye."

Leiea thanks and bids her farewell with a tight hug before catching up with his long strides. "We still have to hitch the horses up, right?" She asks.

"Yes," he responds, "And pack everything in the stall back inside. At least we don't have a shade to hassle with."

They get to the market area in silence. While Sheyric gets the horses from grazing on the fields, she packs away all the larger display items that need extra care putting away. It's strange, but she knows she'll miss this place. Even something as foreign became almost normal in a couple of weeks. The simple beauty of this place practically makes up for the horrible heat. Now, though, all she can hope for is a smooth ride.

Sheyric returns soon with the horses on leads and hooks them up, trying to be quiet since it's still a bit early. Leiea picks up a barrel next to the outer wall and drags it inside to store it away. He walks in behind her, carrying another barrel. "The horses are ready," he says, hoisting the barrel on his shoulder more to avoid using his fragile arm. "We can go whenever. Do what you want after we pack up, but keep in mind, it's better if we leave before the day gets hottest."

She nods and sets the tub down, and leans back on the wall, surrounded by the musty wood smell of old crates and storage systems. It's almost like she's regaining that sadness she had leaving the village. Not nearly as strong, since they haven't been at Karyk for too long, but it's there and unmistakable. But even then, it didn't pass until they were on the road.

Sheyric begins to walk back out the door before stopping and turning around to address her. "We have a customer," he says, hesitantly. He walks out slowly and she's right behind him.

"Hello there," the threatening voice hits her ears before seeing him. The man standing there is tall and thin, wearing a strange style of tuxedo that could only be from Florithe. His deep voice is also accented in that manner. The most haunting aspect, though, is an extremely strange bird on his lifted arm.

The thing is huge and obviously predatory with a sharp hooked beak and three-inch-long talons. On its head and protruding from its long tail are red and orange patterned feathers, like the kind peafowl have. Its neck cranes up to look them in the eye.

The man's -and the bird's- aura isn't right. It makes Leiea want to run away as if he might do something as dramatic and uncomfortable as claiming they have been cursed into submission as servants of his. Still, Sheyric stands his ground, so she must too. It's not like their pale expressions of confusion help.

"Hello... we're leaving now. Can't do business," he says, crossing his arms.

The man flashes a big smile and the bird clicks its beak. "Oh no, it's not business, per se. I just have some news you might find of help. It may keep caution in your mind." The bird crows loudly and jumps off of his arm, making huge wing beats to lift into the windless air. Its wingspan is so big the feathers almost brush the wooden poles holding the stall's shade in place. "Please don't mind Soteseg," He gestures to the bird, who's flying high up behind him now, "We all must feed. Now, on with the news."

Sheyric stops him and steps forward. "Just tell us what you want. If it's not important go on your way. There's no use in stopping us from moving on the route."

"Oh no," the man glances at Leiea for a second before pulling out a teardrop-shaped pendant with a smooth silver plate on the front from inside his suit. "I would suggest you listen." He turns the pendant around calmly. It's an emerald. A small, blueish one, but an emerald nonetheless. It has a strange dark and light quality in the center like it's hollowed from the middle.

Sheyric's eyes widen and his face goes pale quickly. He turns Leiea away quickly, walking her inside. "We leave now. Er- soon. Stay in here for the day." He sets her down on an empty crate and rushes back outside, closing the door behind him.

It's that emerald, she thinks, The emerald that man is wearing. Something to do with me. Something's going to happen, and it's because of me. No, it's because of Sheyric, he gave me the emerald. He knows what's happening and I don't. Not only is it a gift or a sign for trade, but a danger. A danger to me. A danger to him. Right now.

There's the unmistakable noise of the bird Soteseg before the metal gear on the horses start, and the caravan gives an unsettling jerk before moving. Against her own wishes, Leiea sits in place, unmoving. Not only afraid of moving out of the car, but at all. All she wants to know is what happened, but it's obvious she can't. How long it'll be until she gets to know, though? A lot longer than she would like, which is for certain.

Its not even noon, but her and Sheyric's lives may be at stake.