Chapter 6

Many days pass and Leiea gains it as a new routine- to go to Sheyric's caravan for a lesson or two and lunch. Sometimes skipping that if they are emersed enough. The lesson have been on the same few topics, geography, cities, and most recently, how to price the items they take in. It's a fairly easy thing for her, much more than the first two.

Rocks, of course, are the cheapest, and are usually given (or found) uncut, so that's their job. Rocks and pebbles found in water always look best wet, so they are given a varnish or some sort to make the colors and marks stand out better, which also makes them more expensive.

Gems are the most expensive, depending on shape, size, color, and clarity. "Violet, pink, and orange are the most rare and sought after colors," Sheyric said, "Red and white being the most common. When we're given any sort of those we either cut it down and turn it into jewelry, or if it's big enough, keep it as a sort of... luxury... bookend."

Crystals and geodes are somewhere in the middle ground of expense, while metals and other tools are pricey in bulk, which is how they would always be purchased.

Of course, Leiea enjoyed the time spent learning everything she needed to know, but she didn't like how little time she was spending with her family. Or Ryn, whom she hasn't seen since graduation. It makes her wonder if he's given up on her promise.

It would be hard for her to think of anything for him to pursue in the future except teaching. He wouldn't even be able to do that in their little community without going to an official school for it, like the University- Sheyric had said there was a small one in Raha as well- but none are close enough. She had considered even asking Sheyric to bring Ryn along, against any of their wishes. But of course, she didn't bring it up

All these slow, dark, regretful thoughts came to mind when Leiea should've been asleep, resting for another day of "school". As well as more and more thoughts of what tragedies might befall her and her family while gone in the wild. But what could possibly happen? Well, anything. It's not hard to imagine.

In fact, it's horribly easy to imagine everything, in stunning, almost prophetic detail.

Many times, Fleya or Mother could tell something was wrong, and they would ask what happened during the day while they were eating. Nothing ever happened with Sheyric, of course, it was just that the time with him crowded her mind from the sheer amount of possibilities, what she has done and hasn't yet. At least this meant not showing these emotions around him. That would probably make him cancel everything involving her, which is the last thing that should happen

She really should have tried to at least hide that, but she's rather bad at masking emotions. Not always a terrible thing. She doesn't want to lie to herself, much less her loved ones. But it's possibly the worst time to be doing that.

Now she's sitting on the ground in the usual spot, looking at the big map in front of her, with Sheyric crouching at her side. He's lecturing about how big diamonds should be for jewelry. He took out examples as well, and big hand-drilling tools. They look painful and impossible to easily operate. Leiea's barely paying attention, but she catches a few words.

"It's not too hard, you just have to get used to it. Here," He holds the clunky tool out to her. When she doesn't notice or respond, he grabs her hand and opens it, setting the drill inside her grasp. She flinches "Well, uh... what do I do?"

"Just crank it up. Were you paying attention at all?" She shakes her head. He sighs, "Use this and crank it, use a few rounds to get it running. The longer you crank, the longer it'll cut. And don't go breaking it, I've had this same one since I started."

She blinks and nods. The crank is surprisingly hard to turn and the mechanics inside are loud and don't sound safe to be handling. After a few tough rounds, the drill at the top starts spinning and making her entire arm shake. In a second, it's over and now her arm is worn out from the force.

Sheyric laughs. "And that's exactly why my arms are so muscled, keeping that thing from flying away," He takes the drill and pulls it in an empty box behind them. "It takes a pretty long time to get it going for long enough to evenly cut 4 sides. That's a good reason why we don't bother doing that on the huge ones as well."

"Are people allowed to ask us to cut theirs? Not selling, just we do it to their... diamonds and stuff."

"Of course, if it's small enough. Also, I have to leave soon, before lunch. You'll have the rest of the day to yourself. I would welcome you to stay here but I don't let people in here when I'm not. We have to finish within the hour."

The hour goes by quickly, a blur of seemingly abstract tools and shards of crystals. With few words, Sheyric brushes the extra pieces into a crate of them and they both leave the caravan. He locks the door and runs off to somewhere in the village, a leap in his step. Leiea figures he's going to his house- possibly just considered his parents house- and leaves her standing in the market area.

With nothing else to do, she decides on finding Ryn. Finally talk with him. Explain everything. He doesn't even know about the whole thing with trading and Sheyric. She walks down the long road to his house, near her own.

It's not even the summer months yet, but it's considerably hot already, making the sunny walk sweaty and uncomfortable. For some reason, no one thought to add public shade spots anywhere, not even the thick trees found only a mile or so away in the forest.

The window to his house is open and Ryn is sitting there, leaning on the sill and reading a huge leather-bound book. "Ryn,"

He looks up startled and closes the book slowly "Leiea, finally." She nods. "Yeah. It took me long enough, and I have to tell you everything, and there's a lot."

She proceeds to explain at all from the moment Sheyric brought it up behind the graduation stage, up to the day's lesson. He never interrupts and his expression changes little, only from curiosity to what Leiea could only describe as sadness. Exclusion. He laces his hands together over the book and dips his head.

"I know you wanted to tell me what you thought I should do, and you wanted ideas yourself, so I'm here. We can finally discuss it, for you. Unless you still want to tell me your idea."

He looks up with a gray expression and quietly says, "There's no reason to, is there? You already decided. I have as well."

Leiea meets his eyes, a little hurt, but more surprised. He decided as well?

"I'm staying here. I'm becoming an assistant teacher. At our old school. I'm not sure how enjoyable it'll be, but I'll get paid regardless, and I need to be able to say I've had some sort of job in my life. "

What? Assistant teachers don't do anything. They just... walk around. Pass out supplies. Hand back graded papers.

Before she could vocalize it he says, "Goodbye Leiea. I wish you luck." He opens the book and flips to the right page, not looking back up. "You know perfectly well that assistant teachers aren't really... teachers. They're just standing in the corner. You don't think you can actually use your great mind? Maybe you can tutor students. You're a great explainer and teacher. Ryn, look at me," he glances up with a scowl and Leiea steps forward. "Don't give up on that dream of yours. You were second called in that ceremony. Second! You can do so much with that!"

"Your little speeches don't help. Goodbye." His tone becomes harsh and direct. Slamming the book shut, he stands up and closes the window.

Goodbye, Leiea. I wish you luck.