Chapter 4

No decision has been so hard for Leiea to answer.

Many days passed with her mind going back and forth on yes and no, and many times Sheyric came to her to ask for it. A few of those visits involved him coming into her home and speaking to Mother about it. She was surprised and concerned, but it seemed like the idea pleased her. Maybe in her eyes, it's good to adventure out of the village confines.

Fleya didn't mind the idea too much, either, although she absolutely hated that it would mean not seeing Leiea for so long. She suggested to Sheyric that, if the answer is yes, they shorten the traveling times. With some persuading, he agreed and made the roundabout journey nine months instead of ten. This new time at home would be used to train Leiea in how to trade properly and how to be a good and convincing saleswoman.

Soon enough, though, she concludes. She would go with Sheyric. Nine months in the wilds of Kiira, exploring and meeting the peoples of strange cities.

Sheyric was extremely pleased with the news when she broke it to him and her family at home. He jumped up from his seat and hugged her, the first time he'd done so. It caught her off guard and his strong arms almost knocked the breath out of her lungs. Fleya laughed and started clapping at the news, Mother joining in as well.

The day afterward, Leiea jumps out of her bed and throws her clothes on in a hurry. Later yesterday, Sheyric offered to start her training at his stall, although he didn't specify on what subject.

Without waking her family, Leiea stalks out of the house just as the sun rays hit the door, a bright early morning. She dashes to the stalls at a paced jog, her emerald necklace bouncing and boots clunking. Along the way, she notices that Sheyric's stall is the only one open. He must have known she would come so early.

He's standing behind the glass case, and there's nothing on top of it or inside the fancy display. She also notices that nothing is set up inside, either, it all packed away into the big wooden crates and barrels.

Sheyric notices Leiea coming his way and straightens his back. His hair is ragged from sleep and the long black locks on his forehead make his skin look much paler. His eyes glitter as he smiles. "Are you ready? I was thinking to start filling you in on what cities we'll go to."

"We have to start somewhere. Do I go inside...?" She trails off as Sheyric enters his caravan behind the stall. She hasn't been in there before, and the pure richness inside is probably sickening. He nods and rushes her over. Leiea hesitates but walks into the stall and up the steps to the inside of the caravan.

It's a surprising zen place, with pale wallpaper and rugs, lanterns, and tapestries hanging on the walls. All the items look like they came from another part of the country, with strange materials and patterns. Somehow, all the contrasting things pull together nicely, a rustic and homey feel.

On one side of the caravan is a ceiling-high pile of crates and barrels, separated by wood planks to protect the contents. In the opposite corner is a small kitchenette and bathroom, a large chest nearby, most likely storing Sheyric's personal items. In front of it, there is a curtain that would be pulled back to drive the horses and car around. That seems strange, as well. Leiea has never seen any horses nearby, let alone with Sheyric.

She brings this up to him.

"Ah, a fine enough question to start with," he begins with a slight smile, sitting down on a three-legged stool by the doorway. "I leave them in the hills back that way, to graze." He points to the southern wall of the caravan. "Big workhorses. Expensive, too. They were the gift from my parents for my own graduation. You'll have to meet those beasts. I named them Lothian and Odenne. Gentle giants, really, but they stand up nicely to the elements."