Chapter 16

"And where are we putting this?"

Leiea sucks in her breath and her eyes dart between Sheyric- who just emerged from the caravan- and a large armoire. She had just traded a large chunk of gold for it, as well as 13 coins. It was strange to see that customer walk up with the huge thing in tow. But she didn't want to reuse the offer because Sheyric definitely would have if he was outside the whole time.

Even with his emotions running high in Karyk for close to a week, his eyes glimmer with what she can only guess is wonder. It really is a great armoire. The dark stained wood is hand-carved into beautiful shapes, reflecting the amazing artwork of the people here. He continues with a tight expression, crossing his arms. "We can't bring that anywhere. What were you thinking?"

Frankly, she doesn't know either. She threw all the stuff she learned about bartering and refusing trades right out the window. At least this is the first time she has, out of dozens of trades and sales over the last few days.

She blinks. "We could... give it to Plei. The motel needs better furnishings. As a payment for the stay."

"I suppose," He nods slowly. "That'll work. We can get it over now, surprise her."

Well, it will certainly be a surprise. They just got back from lunch there, and they wouldn't be expected to be back until much later. They were even discussing when to leave for Galerus- which they decided on being within next week.

They each take a side of the armoire and slowly wheel it over the bumpy, grass threaded streets. Luckily, the path they usually take is a straight shot, but even such a short trip is horribly hot and endless in Karyk. It's even the hottest time of the day.

Somehow, they get through it, although a mere 10 minutes walk feels like an hour. By the time they reach the steps of the motel, Leiea's face is dripping sweat. She leans backward on the armoire dramatically and lets Sheyric go inside to call Plei out.

Somehow, it's like her condition to Karyk's climate worsened right as he grew more normal and used to it. Well, at least it's obvious the assertion affected her more, as he was barely breathing hard and bounded up the steps easily.

Soon, the door swings back open. Plei's running down, wiping wet hands on the front of her skirt. Fepko barks loudly and starts doing laps around the armoire and Leiea.

"What in the world?"

Sheyric's back stiffens. "We have nothing... nowhere to put this huge thing, so we thought you could have it. As a gift, a payment."

"Oh my..."

"Yes, it's a lot,"

"Oh no, it's wonderful. Was it out of a trade?"

Leiea lifts her head slightly to address her. "This and a thing of coins for a chunk of solid gold."

She glances up and down the thing with a thoughtful expression before looking up. "Vaneina must have made it. I'll have to bring it up to her. Anyway, thank you so much. It's a really beautiful thing."

Sheyric nods roughly and reaches for the side of it that Leiea's still supporting herself on. "You should go inside, that was hard for you. We'll take a break after we store it away. Plei, would you mind helping?"

The two of them roll it up the steps, and she's on their heels to get a drink of water. They move it to the right- probably to room B1. SHe doesn't notice anything else, though, immediately gulping down at least half of the water pitcher on the kitchen counter. Maybe my emotions are running high like Sheyric's were. Not letting me comprehend anything, She thinks. That's probably why I accepted that stupid, worthless trade deal.