Chapter 29

"We're doing something about this whether you like it or not!"

Leiea folds her arms and gazes around the room after Sheyric's outburst. They've been talking about setting up some sort of team for hours now. Some sort of team with a wide array of skills and attributes to investigate the forest. With people that are strong emotionally and physically, unafraid of the forest, and unafraid of what might come.

As the days passed, more and more people in the encampment healed well. Ranulf, whom Leiea still works with and is guided by, said it's because of an influx of healers coming in to help, seeing she do so quickly. She was flattered, but it's not that hard to see that the scabs and burned skin were healing because it was getting to over a week after the ordeal.

They've been having that discussion in a newly unused medical tent. He bought it out specifically for this purpose, which Leiea thought was wrong. There's no reason to take away such a large tent from big families that have to cram into a tiny tent all day, when he hasn't even confirmed with others.

Sheyric starts pacing the room for a moment before stopping again and turning to Leiea. "How about each of us try to find a few people we'd want in this thing. Bring them back here by dusk and evaluate."

She fidgets in her chair. "Fine. I bet you'll really enjoy it when we can't find anyone suitable."

"Leiea," He says, locking eyes. "All these people survived one of the worst attacks possible, and are working together to strive as a village again. There's no use in underestimating them- underestimating us- when there's survivors." He pauses before adding, "I'll go now, round up a few people. Can you please try, too?"

She sighs and nods, standing up from her chair and walking out the tent with him.

Leiea decides to go to Ryn first, the most obvious choice. Not only with him being her friend, but because he's such a kind, genius person. He would easily decide right from wrong, when so many other possibilities for the team out there probably aren't at their mental best.

She sticks her head in and is immediately surprised by the appearance of his father. The two of them are friendly, but it's rather strange that this is the first she's seen of him around the camp. He must be a really high demand worker for the graves, she thinks, or he actually does live there.

Ryn looks up and ushers Leiea in. She skirts around his father and bends down to whisper in his ear to talk with her privately. He nods, glancing at his father, who gives a confused look but nods when he gestures outside. They move just outside the tent and she goes right into what she and Sheyric were discussing, leading back to his story of the clearing in the forest.

At the mention of going into the forest, Ryn groans and rubs his face. "It's crazy you agreed to that," He interrupts, "I don't want to risk myself for something that could or couldn't have been a danger. I understand that you trust Sheyric, but to this degree?"

"I don't want to go, and I get it if you don't either. I just don't want him going in alone, specifically for that reason." He nods slightly and she continues talking at the part with the details.

She finishes talking and Ryn stands in silence for a moment, resting his head on his hand, eyes darting around the grass in thought. His head shoots up after a while. "I'll do it. Solely because I hope you'll be the sane side of everything for Sheyric." He pauses before adding, "And I doubt I'm dumb enough to hurt myself."

Leiea grins and pats him on the shoulder with a soft thank you. Normally she would hug him, but the dusk deadline is fast approaching and he knows perfectly well she's not the one that's over-the-moon exciting about the plan.