Chapter 30

Leiea doesn't know how to react, her emotions clashing. Her heart says to run out in anger, let Sheyric or Ryn- or Father- find her. However, it's only logical to stay put and act like he's a stranger, and nothing happened. All the eyes on them and the unmistakable look from Father stop any heartfelt emotion shining through.

She keeps her gaze to the floor, and her hand subconsciously reaches up to her neck, where the emerald used to lay. Her brow furrows at the old instinct and she can practically feel an aura of smug amusement coming from Sheyric.

Hania signs and takes Leiea's hovering hand, a beacon of warmth and blissfully unaware of how it looks to the others. She takes it without hesitation and dips her head further, this time to hide the blush.

Sheyric clears his throat and continues his speech, starting over for Ailpein. She tunes him out the whole time, focusing on not crying. It's hard to overpower the urge to fall into Ryn or Hania, or anyone, for comfort.

Any other time before the fire would've been a good time for him to return. Why did he come back, anyways? Possibly it was before the fire, for Fleya and Mother and herself. Not like he would know she was elsewhere. That little picture of him tucked away into her pack, which was put there by Fleya, should've been an easy hint, if it was planned.

Yet here he stands. Alive against all odds of the fire and his escape north and looking exactly how he did before. Winter-worn skin and shaggy black hair. The only thing off with the picture is the lack of those huge, matted dogs from the past. Even the quiet solitude exhibited is on target.

Maybe the most surprising thing, though, was the instant recognition. Even after 10 years, Ailpein- which she will definitely be calling him from now on- knew her, and reacted. It seems like an easy thing, pointing out a lanky girl with red hair, but the toll taken from travel and stress is evident. Still, not evident enough for him. She could only imagine what it's Like to see your daughter in such a situation. Older, healthy- although more thin and pale- and holding hands with a girl she's barely interacted with.

Sheyric finishes talking, although Leiea didn't listen to a lick of it. Everyone else in the room starts talking in hushed voices, surely none of it about the venture meeting itself. A few people leave quickly, likely Ryn and Heron, maybe Ailpein if he has any sense. Hania let's go of Leiea's hand as well.

Sheyric walks over and looks her in the eye under cascades of red hair. "How do you know him?" He asks in a whisper. She shakes her head and manages to grunt.

"Must be a hard relationship, then," She nods. "I'm sorry, but it looks like he's staying in the team. I doubt you want to leave, so maybe keep your distance."

She sighs and is able to talk after a bit. "How do you know him?" She asks and he flashes a look of confusion. "You welcomed him in like you've known him for a while."

He laughs. "I was just anxious. Wasn't sure if he was coming or not and was relieved when he did. Come on," he sets a hand on her shoulder and guides her up, walking out the door. No one's left in the tent and the night is eerily quiet. She twists out of his grasp and speed walks to Ryn's tent by instinct.

Inside, she finds him sitting on the stack of wood planks. He opens his mouth to talk and Leiea waves him off, collapsing into her pile of blankets and clothes on the ground. Ryn extinguishes the lantern between them and they both burrow into their bedding.

"Was that your father?" Ryn asks in a hushed voice. Leiea clenches her fist but responds. "Yes. He's not my father anymore. He left my family and came back after calamity, searching for the family he rode away from." She feels tears building up but chokes it down. It doesn't matter if the dark masks it, they still fall.

He shuffles under the blankets. "I never met him, but I know enough to stay away. I hope the other will know about that."

"I told Sheyric we have a complicated relationship. I have no idea how he knows nothing about Ailpein's rocky past with loyalty and be friends at the same time."

"Maybe they aren't friends. Maybe something closer to how him and Therin are, besides the resentment and stupidity."

"Ailpein is stupid, actually."

"That's fair," He laughs. "We're going into the forest tomorrow at sunrise, so I'll wake you then. And bring a weapon of some sort. Good night."

Leiea wakes before Ryn does. It's still dark out, but enough light to rather her things, find a weapon, and go to the meeting tent. With quiet movements, she moves out of bed, pulls on a sweater, and digs an old, partially dull knife from her pack. She accidentally catches a glimpse of the picture of Ailpein and shivers.

She hovers over Ryn as the first rays of sunlight shine through the canvas. Although he'll only be mad, she doesn't wake him, and passes outside. Odenne stands just a few paces away.

The giant horse whinnies and clones up to Leiea, nuzzling her. She laughs and strokes her mane, watching Craith's silhouette graze ahead of them. With a gentle nudge, she pushes Odenne closer to the other horse and by more grass. She walks down the path between the tents.

Something about the weather or smell in the air suggests bad luck. Not like the sky is clouded and dreary- it's quite a beautiful sunrise- but the general feeling is too off. Like the opposite of the earthy hint in the air after a rainstorm.

Flipping the knife in her hand, Leiea makes it to the meeting tent, which still has the hastily made sign on it from the previous night. She pulls back tithe tent flap and is startled by Heron standing right in front of her, like he walked in before. He flinches and glances over his shoulder. With a courteous nod, he steps to the side in the corner.

Everyone besides Ryn is present. Sheyric stands in the group with Vaeic, Ailpein, and Therin, who's fidgeting without something active to do. Vaeic has a belt full of gleaming knives, and Therin is holding a machete that appears to come from her set. As expected, Sheyric has his cursed rifle slung over his shoulder. Ailpein stands too far behind the others to see what he may be wielding.

Hania stands a bit away from them, holding an elegant bow and a case of arrow on her back. She smiles and beckons Leiea over. She gladly follows.

"I didn't bother waking Ryn, so he's probably going to be late." She says and inspects Hania's bow further. It's fairly short, but proportional to her arm length, and shines with fresh polish.

She nods and follows Leiea's eyes to her weapon. "A bit of a family heirloom. It's a miracle I got it out of the fire. I got it when hunting duties fell to me. My sister was too good to help out... Well, I told you all that." She gives a shy smile.

Leiea smiles back and suddenly finds Ryn at her side. She jumps but is relieved he doesn't look mad. "How are you so quiet? I'm starting to like that less and less."

He grins and nods. "I've been trying it out. I'm glad it's working."

Sheyric and the others that were talking with him begin moving to the form of the tent and head out the door. Heron follows them, as Ryn and Hania do. Leiea internally grunts seeing Ailpein at the back, but gets a good look at his weapon of choice.

It's a masterfully crafted sword. Cared for intently and used as little as possible. The real wonder of it, though, is the pommel. It's glossy and fragmented like a gemstone, but nothing like one she has learned of before. Like some sort of combination that looks almost implausible. Yet mesmerizing.

She snaps out of it and rushes ahead of him and Heron, walking behind Hania, Ryn and Vaeic.