Chapter 24

They've been riding for days now. Stopping minimally and keeping a good pace. Even though everything was off, they didn't bother complaining. Sleep had become rare for them, the only opportunity being naps when they should be eating. The distant coastal mountains- the ones Saena must've been from- roll into view and disappear too quickly.

Riding, Leiea's only left with imagining what that trader woman's doing with the caravan. What is she's selling it for parts, or riding it over to Karyk or Galerus to sell entirely? What would Plei think of seeing a stranger ride into town with her friend and customer's pride and joy? It doesn't sound right that she's just using it normally. It doesn't fit in with their luck lately.

All she can think about without her mind wandering into madness is what happened to Sheyric's former lifeline in business.

Leiea might as well be the same as him in personality now. She's gotten increasingly emotional and irritable, pushing herself to the limit to make it home. Even waking from a rare night stop from a night terror. She doesn't remember the episode, but can't forget a very disordered Sheyric trying to calm her down. Never has a foggy memory been so infuriating.

Of course, it was also proving hard to deal with the horses. Having to fix them up on every break, using almost all of their water on them, lugging around seemingly meaningless supplies. Many times, Leiea threw out an extra brush or feeding device, but Sheyric would catch her, saying it's important to have extra. She let Craith run around freely for a time once, nearly losing him in the plains. Even after excessive scolding, she knew the horse probably liked it. She can withstand Sheyric's insanity for the horse's freedom. Even though her intentional carelessness is concerning, there's no reason to try fixing it when other matters are so much more important.

The only thing he let them throw out was the things they brought out of panic, just taking up space and weight. Needless clothes they only brought for the cold north or too many undergarments. They even resorted to leaving behind nearly all of Sheyric's things from selling. All the rocks, gems, and expensive jewels they had to hang onto his trading passion. Leiea even sacrificed her sloppy drikzun model, all left under a bush for someone in the future to stumble upon.

Then eventually, the forest comes into view, looking perfectly malicious and dangerous. The orange glow of the setting sun makes it look like the changing autumn leaves they've seen. Leiea stiffens and pulls on the reins to stop and Sheyric looks back from Odenne with an annoyed expression.

"I knew you were scared of the forest, but really? You can't even ride a mile from it now? We're not separating again because you don't trust something." He shakes his head and picks at a scab on his cheek, nudging the horse to keep moving.

Leiea stares at the treetops for a minute longer before Craith shakes his mane and gets her attention. With a start, she pulls the horse to the side and rides away from the forest, even further from Sheyric. She catches up and he glances at her, although too far apart to see expressions.

In the beams from the sun setting, not only do the tree's seem orange, but the air around that area is off. It's like the light is casting different, making strange splotchy parts hovering above it like steam. Leiea snaps her gaze in the other direction, focusing on a pair of cattle wandering on top of the nearest hill, still thinking about those treacherous woods.

She hates that there are still days of riding alongside it. Maybe only one more full day without a break, but they haven't rested in far too long. It only seems right to have a good night's sleep some time before they reach the village, as it's surely not going to be an easy time. Getting there faster or being rested for their arrival will be a hard decision to make last minute.

Last time they stopped for a break- almost a full day ago- Leiea dug out the hand mirror from Plei. Looking at herself for the first time in months was startling. It was easy to see she's stressed and isn't eating enough with her thinner face and prominent features, like she's in the middle of one of the infamous winter famines. Obviously tired from the purple circles under her eyes, and more pale than she should be from hiding inside for weeks. She would be more self conscious about it, but it's hard when Sheyric looks the same, with multitudes of scabs and burns on top of it. Scabs and burns covering his skin that refuse to heal with dry wind battering it relentlessly.

One thing she didn't expect about traveling was the minor physical troubles. Minor compared to the bear and cougar attacks she was fearing long ago. Now it's just the Soteseg birds to worry about.

Soon, it's dark and increasingly obvious they won't bother stopping to sleep or eat. Leiea lets Craith slow down and get closer to Sheyric for safety, even if it means being near the forest in the dead of night.

Another few hours pass. Sheyric suddenly puts a hand up to signal stopping and Leiea grunts in protest.

He looks over at her and lowers his hand tentatively. "I recognize the tree," He points at the faint lines of a thick tree trunk and a few feet away. "We should be nearing the village, and it's too quiet. It's dark, but look for anything."

She slowly nods and surveys the area. It's midnight, and even the moon barely illuminates the arera enough to see a thing. If they were nearing the village, they should be able to see the lanterns from all around. She tries to remember if people usually keep their house lit up when it's late. It's disappointing how fast she's forgotten her old life at home.

The sun begins to rise, quickly bathing the hills in light. Leiea notices the disappearance of the weird steam above the trees when Sheyric suddenly stops Odenne and chokes on his words, covering his mouth. She follows his gaze and nearly falls off the horse.

All the grass, as far as the eye can see, burnt to a crisp. In the center, their little village, piles of smoldering ruins with no chance of life.