Epilogue

They were left with nothing to grow from. 21 injured survivors, tools and weapons that would be pointless for years, one horse, and a forest they weren't sure was safe again or not. But they decided to grow from it all anyway. If they were able to survive and defeat a power hungry king, they could start from scratch.

They never knew exactly what happened in Florithe. Did they know that Kiira's king committed suicide? Did they even know he was so insane? Was Sheyric actually sent to the capital, and is now stuck there? And is Therin there as well, or somewhere else in the world and long dead? At least one thing Leiea was worried about walking home from Firyah was answered.

In the encampment ruins, Ryn was still there. As well as Vaeic, who was exasperated about the Ildful clawings over her face. She also easily found Zasten in the group with his light hair. When she approached him, she nearly broke into tears.

Giant, adorable, playful Crevan was sitting on his lap. The fox yipped at her and jumped on his hind legs and barked at her happily. She picked him up like an infant and they gladly walked like that for the next few hours before she fell asleep on a pile of ashes with him on her stomach.

The remaining 21 decided on rebuilding from what they had. They refused to move to some other town. If that many could survive two fires, they could survive anything.

An experienced traveler was sent out on Craith with bags of plants for medicine and hardy wood from the forest, sent south to the nearest coastal town, like Mariff. Maybe even Raha if he could make it.

He did make it. He and Craith returned a month later piled with quality supplies, seeds, two rifles, and news of bands of merchants coming on a route near the village. With these new blessings, they encouraged Leiea to claim a spot to begin their new history as a community.

Secretly, Leiea asked Vaeic to do the honors. She immediately took it and set everyone off northwest, close to the mountains on the coast. It made for a trek to get to their old forest, but being on the foothills was much more crisp and scattered with pines. Leiea was glad to be so far from the ruins of her life. She and Hania decided to call the new village Raencalia.

"We built something beautiful here."

Leiea smiles and lays her head on Hania's shoulder. Little by little, they've watched Raencalia grow. More people came to live here, and people began building houses. The population currently sits at 109.

Everyone chipped in to build Leiea and Hania's house first, because of them being the bane of Firyah. It's on the outskirts of the village next to an outcropping of pines. This house itself is fairly small with one story, but it's considerably more nice than Leiea's old house was, with many more rooms and proper insulation, as the winters here are even worse than in the old village.

Still no word of Sheyric. Every time there was knocking on her door she'd rush to welcome him back, only for it to be someone else giving thanks or concerns. Three whole years of it not getting into her head. She did conclude that Therin is dead. It was easier to cope with because she never particularly loved him. The only one that seems bothered by the news was Vaeic.

What they did get news of was a new ruler of Kiira. Because of Raencalia being so small, they were lucky to get the news at all.

A noble lady named Evadon was appointed as queen. Firyah had no family of his own- which everyone was relieved to hear- the Council turned to noble people closest to him to elect.

The poster with the information included a painted portrait of the new queen. She's tall with soot black hair that hangs to her waist in glossy sheets, all her clothes covered in silk and tiny crystals. The newcomer that had the poster let Leiea keep it, noting her fascination with the picture.

It's tacked to the wall above their bed. She inspects it every morning while she eats, noticing new things on Evadon each time. Her crown is solid gold and glass, as well as a thin belt inlaid in her corset and a collar. But the most fascinating thing are her eyes, thin and completely dark, like no one she's ever seen before.

Hania clears her throat, bringing Leiea back to attention. "Maybe we can hitch up some horses and head to Florithe-"

"I've already told you," Leiea says, cutting her off, "we let Sheyric come to us."

"He's probably dead. And people from Florithe aren't coming here to express their condolences and hand over his casket. They don't know we exist."

Leiea nods and sighs. She does want to go to the capital and see Sheyric- to demand to see him. But what would come out of that? They have no way of knowing she was nearly the person to kill Firyah, but she'd still look like a poor, 20 year old woman that is unknown from the world.

"We don't need attention. Let's keep it that way."