Chapter 39: Storm

"It's freezing! Weather this cold should be illegal!" Ginny shouted, pulling her cloak tightly around her as she walked with Grace and Luna on either side of her. Large snowflakes were quickly falling from the sky, covering the path before the girls in a magnificent, sparkling white.

"It's wonderful! The Nazzle Mumphs will be out!" Luna exclaimed with great excitement.

"That sounds like a sneeze," Grace said with a laugh. "What on earth is a Nazzle Mumph?"

"Oh, they're amazing little creatures!" explained the blonde girl, her eyes lighting up at her friend's interest. "I'll have to show you a picture in The Quibbler when we get back to Hogwarts!"

"Enough about Nasal Mumps! Let's go get a butterbeer," Ginny suggested as the girls finally arrived in front of The Three Broomsticks. Butterbeer was a great way to start off another Hogsmeade trip.

Grace pushed open the door, her friends close behind her. Ginny kicked her boots against the doorframe before entering. Luna had a piece of her blonde hair between her fingers, counting how long it would take the snowflakes to melt now that they were inside.

Grace found an empty table and she glanced around the room, taking off her cloak. She saw Dean on one side, probably waiting for Ginny. A few tables down she watched Hermione carry three drinks, setting them down in front of Harry and Ron. A table in the back corner had two empty glasses on it. Grace couldn't wait until her own glass was empty and her stomach was filled with sweet butterbeer.

"I'll go grab us some drinks," Grace told her friends, walking towards the counter where a woman was busy preparing treats. Grace waited patiently, resting her arms on the counter as the worker asked for her order. "Three butterbeers, please. One with ex-"

"-extra ginger."

Grace's heart stopped. She knew that voice. She hadn't heard it in weeks, but that voice was not easily forgotten; not when that voice had said so many sweet things to her before. She turned her head to face the boy.

"Noah," Grace uttered quietly, locking eyes with him.

"Grace," the Slytherin replied. "How have you been?"

The girl sighed, bringing her gaze to her feet. She heard three glasses being set down on the counter. "I've been better."

Noah nodded in agreement. "Do you think maybe we could talk?"

Her heart fluttered in her chest and she grabbed a butterbeer in each hand. "I'm actually here with Ginny and Luna. I don't want to just ditch them."

Noah picked up the butterbeer with extra ginger, helping Grace carry her order to her table.

Ginny shot Grace a pair of wide eyes at the sight of Noah, trying to stifle a smirk. She quickly grabbed her butterbeer, saying, "I'm going to sit with Dean. Come on, Luna."

Luna picked up her own drink, sitting in a chair across from Neville, who was staring at a small potted cactus.

"There's no one to ditch anymore," Noah said with a shrug. He pulled a chair out for Grace. "Please sit," he added, his brow furrowed slightly. The Slytherin let out a quiet sigh of relief once Grace settled into the chair. He walked around to the other side to sit across from her.

"Where have you been? I haven't seen you around," Grace pushed, not touching her butterbeer. She was much more interested in the boy in front of her.

"Just busy, that's all," Noah mumbled. "Honestly, have you been doing alright? I've been worried."

"Why are you worried about me? I'm not your concern anymore. I never was, I suppose."

"Grace, I fucked up," Noah admitted, running a distraught hand through his hair. "I shouldn't have ended things with you. I haven't stopped thinking about you since that day in my common room."