Chapter 20: Open Arms

Grace barely made it to the end of the corridor before she felt a tug on her arm. She turned to look at the person's face, locking eyes with her tormenter.

"And where do you think you're going?" Ryan smirked, staring down at Grace like he was her prey.

"Let go of me," Grace shot back slowly through gritted teeth. She pulled her arm roughly out of his grip.

Ryan looked shocked that she had been brave enough to even talk to him. Grace had her moments of strength, but she had to admit that it freaked her out when she saw him chuckle at her words.

"Merlin, you let a bitch escape death once and now she thinks she's hot shit," Ryan said, laughing. "You think you can talk to me like that?"

Grace's heart was pounding and she felt her throat get dry. Where the hell was this confidence coming from? Maybe she should just back down.

She mentally slapped herself. No! It was time for her to be courageous. The last few weeks had given her time to evaluate the person she was, and the girl she was now striving to be. Grace narrowed her eyes up at him, her gaze strong and determined.

"You can't hurt me anymore."

Ryan raised an eyebrow, clearly finding this whole conversation amusing. He slowly leaned close to her, tucked a piece of her hair back, and brought his lips to her ear. His hot breath hit her skin as he whispered, "Watch me."

Grace gulped quietly. Ryan took her silence as defeat and stood up straight once again.

"He's not going to save you," Ryan continued, nodding towards the Great Hall as he referred to Noah. "He doesn't even want to be friends with you. There's already another girl draped on his arm." A smirk tugged at the end of his lips. "Lucky for you my arm is still open."

"Fuck you!"

Slam!

Grace's head collided with the stone wall behind her as he shoved her into it. A fire was lit in Ryan's eyes. She brought her hand up to gently touch the back of her head. She was shocked it wasn't bleeding.

"You're still mine, Grace. I don't know where your little attitude came from, but I won't be so nice next time."

Grace was just trying not to fall over. Her head was spinning. If she was in one of those muggle cartoons she used to watch when she was little, there would be birds circling above her head. She closed her eyes to try to rid the stars in her vision.

"We'll talk more later," finished Ryan, the sound of his footsteps carried on down the corridor.

Grace's mind was so jumbled that she knew watching Ryan walk off with his arm around Rachel must have been all in her imagination.